Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with figuring out how many agents i need

wald15
Level 2

Hello

I'm considering bying Backup Exec Small Business Edition 2014

And i have look at symantec licensing guide: http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup-exec-2014-licensing-guide-...

but im not sure if i have to buy some additional agents, or if the Small Business Edition is enough

Below here is what i have, i need to have backup of.

1 x exchange server

1 x Active Directory server

2 x file servers

1 x hyper-v host (with 4 hyper-v servers needed to be backed up)

5 x normal windows server

1 x linux server with MySql installed

thanks in anvange

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

SBS covers the SBS server itself and includes proteciton of Exchange, AD, SQL, SharePoint and Hyper-V.

If any of those servers (up to 3 physical/virtual) are outside of the SBS environment, you can license them for protection.

In your case, outside of the Hyper-V host, you might actually want to look at normal BE licensing as it appears you have more than the legal amount of servers you can license for backups.

In that case (assuming they're all physical), you'd need:

1 x Media server license

7 x RAWS agents (for the 5 x normal Dinwos servers & 2 x file servers)

2 x Agent for Databases and Applications (1 x Exchange; 1 x AD)

1 x Hyper-V license which would cover the 4 VMs, but you'd need agent licenses if they run applications like SQL and you want to do GRT backups/restores of applications

1 x Linux agent...

Please confirm all of this with the Symantec licensing department as they are the final authority on licensing.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

SBS covers the SBS server itself and includes proteciton of Exchange, AD, SQL, SharePoint and Hyper-V.

If any of those servers (up to 3 physical/virtual) are outside of the SBS environment, you can license them for protection.

In your case, outside of the Hyper-V host, you might actually want to look at normal BE licensing as it appears you have more than the legal amount of servers you can license for backups.

In that case (assuming they're all physical), you'd need:

1 x Media server license

7 x RAWS agents (for the 5 x normal Dinwos servers & 2 x file servers)

2 x Agent for Databases and Applications (1 x Exchange; 1 x AD)

1 x Hyper-V license which would cover the 4 VMs, but you'd need agent licenses if they run applications like SQL and you want to do GRT backups/restores of applications

1 x Linux agent...

Please confirm all of this with the Symantec licensing department as they are the final authority on licensing.

Thanks!

wald15
Level 2

Hi CraigV

Thanks for your answer, that helped me alot

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For AD backups, read my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need