cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I backup live VMs on MS virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 with backup exec 12.5.

TDCFreaks
Level 2
I have been looking online all day and see threads that say it can be done then I see threads that say it cant.  I dont want to install remote agents on each VM, so I would like to know is there a document on how to do this?  I hear VSS  and AOF, and none of those things seemed to work for me.  Can someone just tell me a simple yes or no?  Does it work?  If it does can someone provide some documentation on how to do this?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v12.5 offers an agent for Virtual Servers that will backup a live VS environment

from  http://www.symantec.com/business/products/family.jsp?familyid=backupexec

Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures The new Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures delivers complete disk-to-disk-to-tape based data protection for growing VMware virtual environments while protecting existing physical server environments through one flexible console. Backup Exec 12.5 can quickly restore individual files and folders from a single image-level backup - eliminating the time and storage requirements of a second file level backup
One agent delivers comprehensive data protection to an unlimited number of VMware virtual guest systems
Comprehensive backup application for virtual systems and physical systems supporting disk and tape storage environments
Integration with VMware Consolidate Backup (VCB) to maximize backup and recovery performance
Granular data recovery for VMware Infrastructures saves time and lowers cost

TDCFreaks
Level 2

but I am not using VMware I am using Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1, as for the Virtual Servers Agent I heard from sales that only works for Hyper-V and for VMware Virtual Infrastructure.

Isn't that true?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
<slaps forehead>  Duh!

Sorry 'bout that,  need to learn to read a little more slowly    <grin>

From the v12.0 SCL

1. Backup Exec media server, as well as all agents and options, can be installed on the host server to protect the entire server if the host operating system is
supported. Guest virtual server(s) must be shut down to ensure backup consistency and avoid backup failure. Guest virtual server(s) will be protected as a single
object. Microsoft Virtual Server (MSVS) 2005 SP1 does not require the guest Virtual server/s to be shut down.

and v12.5 has an Agent for Microsoft Virtual Serversa  (which is ewhat I thought I was copying before)  here is the sales blurb for that

The new Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for Microsoft Virtual Servers provides a single agent to support an unlimited number of virtual guests running on a Windows Server 2008 machines while protecting existing physical server files and Windows applications. Backup Exec 12.5 can quickly restore individual virtual files and folders from a single image-level backup - eliminating the time and storage requirements of a second file level backup
Complete Windows data protection for new Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V systems and virtual systems running Windows Server 2000 and 2003 environments
One agent delivering affordable data protection to an unlimited number of Microsoft virtual systems
Comprehensive backup application for virtual systems and physical systems supporting disk and tape storage environments

teiva-boy
Level 6
 According to system requirements, MS Virtual Server 2005 SP1 is listed as one of the possible requirements, or 2008 Hyper-V.

For R2, I'm not sure.  

But with 12.5, you can add in the feature without putting in a license key, and trial it for some 30 or so days.

Make sure to read the best practice guides admin manual to make sure you do it right.