cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I move BUE 2010 Deduplication backups offsite?

larry_v
Not applicable

Hi,

I am currently running BUE 2010 R3. We have been using a Tandberg Tape drive, which I'd like to throw out the window :) .  I was hoping that I could combine the BUE Dedup option along with the new Amazon Glacier storage to replace my tape. If i wasn't using dedup, I would just upload my BKF and IMG files/folders. My question is....what exactly do I send offsite from a dedup backup. Do I need the entire contents of the Dedup folder? I want to send out dedup'd data to reduce storage and bandwidth costs. Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

not sure if the Amazon Glacier option is viable as nothing is listed in the BE 2010 SCL on this at all.

Your best bet would be to duplicate the dedupe folder to tape/remote disk (like a NAS for instance) on a nightly basis. This would allow for your offsite copies.

You'd simply add another job to your policy/job which duplicates your backup set on completion of the backup job to the dedupe folder.

It's going to rehydrate your data so just be aware of that.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you do not want to duplicate the backup sets in your dedup folder to your cloud provider, then you would have to backup your entire dedup folder by backing up the system state of the volume where the dedup folder resides.  You then store this backup set in your cloud provider.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143335

However, since your cloud provider is not supported, I don't know how you are going to make use of it.  You cannot just simply copy .bkf or .img files to your cloud provider.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

not sure if the Amazon Glacier option is viable as nothing is listed in the BE 2010 SCL on this at all.

Your best bet would be to duplicate the dedupe folder to tape/remote disk (like a NAS for instance) on a nightly basis. This would allow for your offsite copies.

You'd simply add another job to your policy/job which duplicates your backup set on completion of the backup job to the dedupe folder.

It's going to rehydrate your data so just be aware of that.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you do not want to duplicate the backup sets in your dedup folder to your cloud provider, then you would have to backup your entire dedup folder by backing up the system state of the volume where the dedup folder resides.  You then store this backup set in your cloud provider.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143335

However, since your cloud provider is not supported, I don't know how you are going to make use of it.  You cannot just simply copy .bkf or .img files to your cloud provider.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.