cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you add a new remote device

K_1
Level 3
Don't even know if this can be done but here goes. We have a backup server and robotic library - all working ok. We backup to disk and then duplicate to tape. I want to install a stand alone tape unit onto my pc for the purposes of restoring. We could do it from the server but for ease it would be better if we could install a new tape unit on my pc. Anyone know how to do this because it looks like you can only install the new device on the server.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec ONLY supports TAPE Drives connected Locally. You wont be able to use the TAPE Drive with Backup Exec which is NOT connected to the Backup Exec Server.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec ONLY supports TAPE Drives connected Locally. You wont be able to use the TAPE Drive with Backup Exec which is NOT connected to the Backup Exec Server.

Hope this helps

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

1 way around this is to connect a similar/identical tape drive to your PC, and then license, and install BackuP Exec on that PC.
If you need to restore data, pop the tape in your tape drive and restore locally.
This assumes that your media server is on site as well!

Laters!

K_1
Level 3
thanks for all your help

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You should give the solution to whoever helped  you, not yourself

Also, a little explaination as to what helped you would help others with a similar problem

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Which posting helped here...?

K_1
Level 3
We attached a new tape drive directly onto the server. Thanks