cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How secure is the media`s password?

dlarouche
Level 3
How secure is the media`s password in backup exec?

Cannot find any security report regarding this subject. For the moment, at our customer`s sites we encrypt the media with third party products. But i would like to know if security report exist or if someone already did such security tests.
7 REPLIES 7

Jason_K
Level 4
Hello,

If you were referring to the password for the tapes, if you attempt to perform a catalog, or a restore for that media it should prompt you for a password. I have not heard of anyone ever being able to break the password, next to taking the tape do a data recovery company, and paying thousands of dollars to have the phsyical tape read.

anyone else have any more input on the subject?

Jamie_Tatum
Level 4
The password you can apply on an individual tape isn't that secure. It's not used to encrypt the data. As Jason says, the software prevents certain operations if the password isn't entered. Depending on your security model that may or may not be sufficient.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

Password protecting the media is an effective way of securing data on the tape. However, there is no way to retreive data from the tape if you forget the password.

dlarouche
Level 3
After reading the replies to my message, it's clear that each system administrator and security engineers have their own opinion about it. Also, this "security" feature is very badly documented by Veritas. As security consultant, i consider this as a major security risk for thoses who use backup exec to protect classified informations.

I seriously doubt of the efficiency and security of this feature. This is why for all my customers we add an encryption layer to the media. This may be useful a media fall in a wrong hands or is lost.

I ask this question, because extra encryption cause cpu overhead and increase the backup window. Then i want to make sure it is necessary.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
We recommend you to encrypt the data using third party software and then backup the encrypted data to a tape and password protect the tape for maximum security.

Thanks, if you have additional concerns or questions do reply to this post.

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply.