Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Backup Deduplication folder ?

IdrisEzzy
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear Experts,

Please guide me on how can I backup deduplication folder using shadow copy component, thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can back via Shadow Copy - but for speed in a disaster if you use duplicate jobs to backup the backup sets then you should be able to directly restore to your production servers. If you backup the deduplication folder using Shadow Copy instead of first having to recover the deduplication folder and then having to recover the  production servers afterwards - hence good practice is to duplicate the backup sets

I won't call it best practice as it kinds of depends on the nature of the disaster as to what might be most efficient - for instance only losing the media server itself and just recovering that might be better with Shadow Copy. However most customers tend to look at how fast they can recover their production (end user affecting) servers and worry about complete recovery of the backup server itself as a secondary requirement.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You don't backup the dedupe folder directly...you need to create a duplicate stage to duplicate to tape/another disk. This will end up rehydrating your data, so be aware of this.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187265

Thanks!

IdrisEzzy
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Somebody told me that we shoud backup dedup folder using shadow copy component, can you please put some light on that, Thanks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, then this is the TN you're looking at:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH143335

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can back via Shadow Copy - but for speed in a disaster if you use duplicate jobs to backup the backup sets then you should be able to directly restore to your production servers. If you backup the deduplication folder using Shadow Copy instead of first having to recover the deduplication folder and then having to recover the  production servers afterwards - hence good practice is to duplicate the backup sets

I won't call it best practice as it kinds of depends on the nature of the disaster as to what might be most efficient - for instance only losing the media server itself and just recovering that might be better with Shadow Copy. However most customers tend to look at how fast they can recover their production (end user affecting) servers and worry about complete recovery of the backup server itself as a secondary requirement.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think this is the document you are looking for

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187911

lmosla
Level 6

As CraigV mentioned you should backup to the deduplication folder using a duplicate backup stage in the job.  

'Perform a duplicate backup job so that you have redundant backups of the data in your deduplication disk storage device. This method is preferred over performing full backups using the deduplication writer because this method is easier to control.

see Best practices for Backup Exec 2012 Deduplication Option