cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Cancel Backup Job if the Status is "Ready;No Idle Devices are Available"

mrcheng
Level 2

Hi Guys,

Need some help. I dont know if there is a work around but I need to cancel backup jobs with "Ready;No Idle Devices are Available". It keeps bothering me since i have multiple jobs and i have to wait to make it "active" then only i can cancel it.

Product: Backup Exec 2012

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mrcheng
Level 2

Thanks Colin and Craig for your inputs. But I have opted to "Hold" and reschedule the Jobs which are having "Ready;No Idle devices are available" status to start on other day rather than waiting for it to become active then cancel each one;which is more time consuming I guess. Restarting the services is not one of my options considering i have an ongoing backup job which I've been waiting to complete.

I think this is one of the limitations of the product which Symantec needs to look into. For what purpose why they design it like that is beyond my understanding. Unless someone can enlighten me?

Thanks for your suggestions though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you can't cancel it so that it stops immediately, you will have to stop the services, which stops all the jobs.

You might want to look into cancelling the job automatically. Check the TN below for more information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185853

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Craig just for info I belive that in that status quoted by OP, because the job is not active, that the cancel option may be either not there or greyed out. Jobs do have to reach a certain condition before they can be cancelled.

A service restart probably will still change the status (either the job will start afterwards or it will got to missed.) However as the OP seems to have multiple jobs active at the time, he probably won't want to restart services either and as far as I know may have to wait as the only other option would be to delete the job which would then probably have to be recreated.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Thanks Colin...seems to be a common issue across a number of versions of BE. I've had this before and been forced to restart services, resulting in failed jobs that had to be restarted.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Yep it will affect mutliple versions

mrcheng
Level 2

Thanks Colin and Craig for your inputs. But I have opted to "Hold" and reschedule the Jobs which are having "Ready;No Idle devices are available" status to start on other day rather than waiting for it to become active then cancel each one;which is more time consuming I guess. Restarting the services is not one of my options considering i have an ongoing backup job which I've been waiting to complete.

I think this is one of the limitations of the product which Symantec needs to look into. For what purpose why they design it like that is beyond my understanding. Unless someone can enlighten me?

Thanks for your suggestions though.