cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Qnap TS-439 Pro II NAS to LTO Tape with Backup Exec V12

Nikko
Level 2
I am trying to backup various shared folder on the Qnap NAS to LTO tape drive using Backup Exec - I was able to select these folders for backup but as soon as backup is initiated the following error appeared: "Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly." Is there a dummy step-by-step guide that can achieve the above? Thank you in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Add BE Service account to the admin group (or root ) on the Qnap NAs .This might resolve the issue

Note :Ideally backup Exec protects server on which you have remote agent installed ,but still it backup shares but  if remote agent is not installed in that case you need NDMP license to protect that server but you need to check the compatibility list .

Nikko
Level 2

Thank you RahulG,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge - I am new in setting up Backup Exec ans Qnap NAS.

I am not sure what you have referred to as BE Service Account - Is this the same as "System Logon Account"?

I am currently have Backup Exec 12 installed on a Windows 2003 Server R2 - This is also our AD server (i.e. Domain is RMDNT). The current System Logon Account has been setup with current user:  RMDNT\tuan.nguyen (this user is also a Domain Administrator).

I have setup user tuan.nguyen in Qnap NAS and have read+write permission to all share folders within thge Qnap NAS.

I have also setup Admin user group from Qnap NAS to include user tuan.nguyen and again have full read+write permissions.

When I use Backup Exec to backup various shared folders from Qnap NAS - Backup Exec has allowed me to select these shared folders from "User-Defined Selections" OK without complain. When "Select Volume Credentials" came up - I have clicked the "Test All" button to see the following outcomes:

Test Results: "The Backup Exec Agent for Windows system is not installed on the remote computer, or is not running, or is not the correct version".

Obviously, backup then failed.

Please advice what I need to do next to enable the above backup - Thank you.

PS. I have checked the document relating to NDMP but just could not figure out whether I need carry out the change within the WIndows 2003 Server and/or within the Qnap NAS.

Thank you for all your help in advance.