cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup a share on a SAN

DougieSSC
Level 2

On Baqckup Exec 11d, I just used to select the shares on my IBM SAN and it would back them up. The shares are directly off the SAN running whatever IBM software and is managed via a web interface. Now using Backup Exec 2012, when I try to backup these same shares the jobs fail for these shares (even though it's backing up the shares) with the error that it can't find the remote agent.

As far as I know don't think can have the agent installed on it, and all I want to be able to back up the shares without an error, is this possible in the new version?

If you require more specific details please let me know.

Thanks

Dougie

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The job should not fail but will just give you exception that a remote agent in not detected.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Because SAN LUNs will be listed/treated as LOCAL DISKs on the server they are presented to. Install remote agent on that server (and a license on media server) and backup the data from there. 

If you can post a screenshot of the backup selections, we can understand about this better...

DougieSSC
Level 2

I should add the backups that worked were with exceptions, so I'm not sure why they've started to fail.

DougieSSC
Level 2

Hi Kiran,

This SAN does not have drives held on a server, they are shared directly on the SAN, not through a windows server. I have seen the set up you are describing before and know what you mean, but in this case this is not the setup I have here.

Thanks

Dougie

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Confusing between SAN drives and Shared drives.

Can you breif us about how your other servers are accessing the information on this SAN, that you are trying to backup ?

Again, a screenshot of backup selection list will be handy... 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe the status of the RAWS not installed warning/error mesage when performing a share level backup against non windows devices  may have changed between either 11D and 12.0 or 12.5 and 2010.

Even though the data is backed up and you will find it in the restore selections the message itself cannot be disabled.

If you would like this functionality to change then please create a new "Idea" using the Create Content option at the top of the forums - Ideas are how customers can submit enhancement requests