cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup to a clean folder / b2d device

dswinford
Level 3
I need to run a backup job once a week to a B2D folder. Once the job is done I will setup a scheduled job via Windows to FTP the backup files offsite.

How can I setup the backup job so that it will "OVERWRITE" the backup files from older jobs? This will run every week and I only want the backup files in the B2D device that were created from the last backup job.

I was thinking of just writing a batch file to delete all backup files then scheduling a weekly job to inventory the device but I thought there may be a better way to do it.

Can anyone help with this one? If I use the batch idea will it cause BE to get upset because the files are just gone and not moved to scratch media?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Dan
11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For the media set that these files will belong to, set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) to 2 Days. This will give you time to verify that the FTP job worked properly, and should allow the disk files to be overwritten each week

dswinford
Level 3
If the second backup is not as large as the first there will still be files in that directory from the old backup.

I want the directory to "only" have the files from the most recent backup.

Would my batch idea to delete all of the backup files then run an inventory work? Or is that just a bad idea?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

You could configure the job to overwrite to media. Also check out the following documents:

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

Hope it helps!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yeah, that should work.

You'll probably need to manually retire the files that you delete, tho. Even if the files are not physically there, BackupExec will still maintain the catalog records. and your database could get REALLY large.Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

dswinford
Level 3
Just right click move to media set....retired media? That easy?

Does that clean the catalogs then as well?

There should be an easier way to do this! Everyone keeps saying use overwrite protection and what not and sending me links that explain that. The thing is i know how it works but the directory needs to be clean, meaning only that jobs files. Overwriting the media is fine but as I said before there still may be files from other jobs there.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just right click move to media set....retired media? That easy?

Yeah, then delete the media (select one or more media from the Retired Set, right Click/Delete)

This will remove all traces in the catalog. 'Course you'll need to inventory/Catalog before you can restore from them :)

Any specific reason that you need an empty folder rather than letting BackupExec overwrite existing files.

Is it so that your FTP job just exports everything, rather than having to do only files chaged today or something?

dswinford
Level 3
"Is it so that your FTP job just exports everything, rather than having to do only files chaged today or something?"

Exactly

dswinford
Level 3
"Is it so that your FTP job just exports everything, rather than having to do only files chaged today or something? "

Did you have a thought on this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

You could set up a separate folder and use a cmd file that would clear the folder, then XCOPY or ROBOCopy the B2D folder in, grabbing only files updated today.

It's been a while since I did much scripting, and I used REXX for windows then, but shouldn't be too hard.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

dswinford
Level 3
I'm going to have to use a script, probably using robocopy, to move off the files to a separte directory.

Veritas by itself will not do what I want. Again I need the directory to only have the files from the last backup.....no other files....overwrite protection will NOT do that.

Thanks