cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check VDDK version in Backup Exec 2012 R2?

Mike_Tang
Level 4
Certified

Hello all,

I need to use SAN transport mode for VM restore from Backup Exec 2012 R2 (version 14 build 1798).

I have checked VMware to need VDDK 5.0 U2. 

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2010428

So, how can I check? And do I need patch into Backup Exec 2012?

Need your help.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We do not support SAN mode restore yet so even if we have the correct vddk we have not tested and have not re-enabled the choice inside the Backup Exec console yet (Restore Job Properties)

When we do support it the choice will be re-enabled. We disabled the choice orginally as we believed that the timescale for the VMware supplied part of the fix was too long - we turned out to be correct as I think it is now over a year.

EDIT: With regards the question if you can find the version numbers for files in the vddk for the update you are after then I think you can look at the files in ..\Backup Exec\Vmware\VixDiskLib\bin to work it out what the current vddk in BE is

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

We do not support SAN mode restore yet so even if we have the correct vddk we have not tested and have not re-enabled the choice inside the Backup Exec console yet (Restore Job Properties)

When we do support it the choice will be re-enabled. We disabled the choice orginally as we believed that the timescale for the VMware supplied part of the fix was too long - we turned out to be correct as I think it is now over a year.

EDIT: With regards the question if you can find the version numbers for files in the vddk for the update you are after then I think you can look at the files in ..\Backup Exec\Vmware\VixDiskLib\bin to work it out what the current vddk in BE is

Mike_Tang
Level 4
Certified

Oh my god!

Thanks you for your reply.

But, how can I fasten the VM full restore?

Think backup to VCB world...

Restore vmdk into staging disk first from tape first.

Next, use vmware convertor convert this image into vsphere 5.0

the above is right?

Hope any great idea!

Colin_Weaver

OK we can restore over NBD from either tape or disk storage (even if the backup was a SAN backup). Also when restoring a complete virtual machine staging is not used. You don't have to use VMware convertor

Staging is required for Granular Recovery (GRT) operations from tape where you only want individual GRT objects (Files, e-mails, SQL databases etc) back and not the whole server.

Mike_Tang
Level 4
Certified

Full VM image restore over NBD from LTO4 is very slow for around 500GB VM.

It works in theory only!