cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a list of all backup jobs, what each one backs up and where it backs it up to?

laura_m
Level 2

Using Symantec Backup Exec 2010. This seems like a fairly simple request but for some reason I cannot easily find an option to do it! There are no reports for it under the reports menu, and I've used the bemcmd -o506 -j > c:\file.txt command to create a file with some info but this is not easily understood at all.

Is there a simple way to do this? All I want to know is the data under "View Selection Details" when you go into the properties of a job really... just for all jobs in a report at once, but I can't see an option to select this when creating my own report either.

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You can try the following
To query the Backup Exec Database (BEDB) and to export the backup selection lists to an external Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet, perform the following steps:

1) Confirm that Microsoft Office Excel is installed on the media server.
2) Open the Excel application.
3) Click on the Data Menu.
4) Click on "from other sources"  then select "From SQL Server".  The Data Connection Wizard then opens up.
5) Enter the server name: BackupExecMediaServerName\BKUPEXEC
6) Select the log on credentials to "Use Windows Authentication" and click "Next".
7) Select the BEDB database.
8) Check the option "connect to a specific table".
9) Select the following view: "vwScriptPropertiesBackup".
10) Click finish on the "Save data connection file and finish" Window.
11) Click OK in the "import data" window.  This opens the Excel sheet with all the details.  "ScriptName" list the names of all the jobs including backup jobs.
14) The ScriptName column can be sorted by the DeviceSelectionName, PathName and FileName to list the selection details for folders and file level detail.

Note:  Excel must have access to SQL Database ODBC Drivers for the procedure above to be successful.  These steps also only access the database

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Against RahulGs answer:

Unfortunately the ScriptName is not always the Backup Job name as the Script Name actually refers to the Selection List and selection lists can be linked with multiple jobs so the names may not match.

Also the DeviceSelectionName, PathName and FileName relate to what is being backed up not where it is being backed up to (which is part of a job config not the selection list so not part if the view suggested by Rahul)

Also if you have multiple itmes in your selection list there will be multiple rows in the  results with the same Scriptname.

I don't think what you are asking for is an inbuilt displayable item/report in Backup Exec so although it is possible to get the data from the database a complicated script to pull different tables together is needed to fully achieve what you have asked.

laura_m
Level 2

Sorry, I'm making it sound more complicated than it is.

All I want is a list of every backup job and what file areas each of these jobs are backing up. I just can't seem to find a straightforward way to do this! I've only recently started using Backup Exec.

Emort
Level 3

I use a combo of grep and sed to create an output that is easy to read

First i dump
bemcmd.exe -o507 -s"NAMEOFLIST" > D:\Script\Raw_Dump\"NAMEOFLIST_%date%.txt"

Then i Grep and copy to a new location:
grep -E -f "D:\Script\Grep\pat2.txt" "D:\Script\Raw_Dump\NAMEOFLIST_%date%.txt" >"D:\Script\GrepDump\NAMEOFLIST_%date%.txt"

Grep pattern :(pat2.txt)
DEVICE SELECTION:
FILE NAME:
PATH NAME:
OPERATION TYPE:  
INCLUDE SUBDIRS:

And sed for injecting a small line "-------------" after “include subdirs” for easy reading and moving it to finaldumped

D:\Script\sed\sed.exe -e /"INCLUDE SUBDIRS"/a\---------- "D:\Script\GrepDump\NAMEOFLIST_%date%.txt">"D:\Script\FinalDumped\NAMEOFLIST_%date%.txt"

But i would love better report option in the tool
Hope it helps you or brings your closer to a solution

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Often requested, so far, never delivered

I believe there is a thread in the Ideas section, head on over and give it a thumbs up and we may see this in a future release (but don't hold your breath

teiva-boy
Level 6

The feature just doesn't exist.  You can enter in a request for it in the Idea's section of the forum.  Or use one of the script examples that people have posted up...