cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Media server on the BE 2014 agent

Hossein_Ebrahim
Level 2

We have two servers running Windows 2012 Server. I Installed BE 2014 on first one and second one has the BE agent.

I have a weekly full back up of the second server which will back up on external hard drive attched to the first server. The bakup takes 25 hrs. 

I just want to know how can i do the backup on external hard drive attached to the first server(then data is not transferring from second server to the first server). I searched the net and i found i need to set the first server as Media Server, but i could not find anywhere on the Centeral Administration Server to add this role to the second server. 

So I appreciate any help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes. You need to buy a media server license for Server 2 and the Enterprise Server Option which contains CASO.

Why not just attach the external HDD to the second server and load BE there instead? Backups would then be local.

The speed hit in your backups could be due to them running to an external disk as well!

THanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
CASO is part of the Enterprise Server Option which you need to buy the licence for. For your configuration you would also need a core BE licence for the second server. You then install CASO on one of the media server and make that a CAS

Hossein_Ebrahim
Level 2

Hi pkh,

Now, I am a bit confused about the licenceing, right now I have one licence for BE 2014, do i need to buy another licence to do so?

Thanks

CraigV

Yes. You need to buy a media server license for Server 2 and the Enterprise Server Option which contains CASO.

Why not just attach the external HDD to the second server and load BE there instead? Backups would then be local.

The speed hit in your backups could be due to them running to an external disk as well!

THanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. What you are trying to do involves 2 media servers.  Hence you need to by another core BE licence.  On top of that you need to buy the ESO licence to get CASO.

Hossein_Ebrahim
Level 2

Thank you guys, well right now I am backing up same way CraigV said, but as I mentioned it takes 25 hrs to fully backup server 2. I thought making the server 2 as a media server will decrease the backup time.

Thanks again

CraigV

It depends on what you're backing up. Millions of files will cause a slow down to tape as it causes a "shoe shine" effect where the drive isn't able to run at a consistently high speed due to the stop/start nature of these backups.

THanks!