Did you mean: 

How to move offline B2D folder online.

saberman
Level 4

Windows XP SP3

BE 9.1

I am testing a backup strategy that includes B2D folders.  I did the following:
1. Created a set of B2D folders.
2. Ran B2D jobs copying the content of tapes to the folders.
3. Copied the entire set to a Blu-Ray disc.
4. Moved the media in the B2D folders from the onine location to the offline location.
5. Deleted the physical B2D folders.

Then I tried to run a restore job and it failed saying the data was offline.  However, even through I only tired to restore one B2D folder it recrated all of the B2D folders in the media set.  I then copied the contents of the one B2D folder that I wanted to restore from the Blu-Ray disc to the B2D folder on the hard drive.  I tried to run the job again and it failed saying:
The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Media not found.

I then tried to move the media from the offline location to the online location but the system would not let me drop it there.  All of the B2D folders associated with the media set are grayed out and say offline.

If I right click on an offline B2D device in the Devices tab there isn't an option to put it online and I can't move the media to the online location.

How do I get BE to recognize that the media is back online? 

5 REPLIES 5

saberman
Level 4

I was able to get the media back online by:
1. Deleting the B2D device for the folder
2. Recreating the B2D device for the folder

However, this is not something that should be in a run document.  Is there another way to get a B2D device online?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You need to make sure the path for the B2d folder is correct .. I.e incase if you have change the drive letter or so you need to make sure the you assigne the correct drive letter which you had asignemd earlier.

you can right click the folder and make it online if is offline . If it is not coming online that 1st make sure you are able to browse the b2d folder location , you can delete the B2d file changer.cfg  folder.cfg files and "restart the services.

saberman
Level 4

>you can right click the folder and make it online if is offline .

I think you missed this from my original post:

"If I right click on an offline B2D device in the Devices tab there isn't an option to put it online and I can't move the media to the online location. "

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

So when you go to the devices tab is the backup to disk folder show up as offline ?

or the files inside the backup to disk folder show up as offline? or they show up in offline media ?

saberman
Level 4

The backup to disk folder shows up as offline in devices.

The files inside the backup to disk folder is in the Offline location.

The files cannot be moved from the Offline Location to online.

Right clicking on the back up to disk folder in devices does not show an online option which is the problem.  It is not grayed out -- it isn't there at all.  Inventory was on the menu but grayed out.  The only way I could get the folder online was to delete it from devices and then recreate it in devices.  Once I did that the files were online and in the folder.  However, I don't think that is a long term solution.

I managed to hange Backup Exec so I rebooted and all of the offline B2D folders are now online.

I think I have to rethink how I am going to do this.  Ideally I would like to delete all of the B2D folders after copying the contents to a BLu-Ray BD-R DL but leave the entries in the catalog so I know which disc has to be copied back to a hard drive to restore something.