cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to preview needed tapes before running a Restore job

CBR954
Level 2

I have BackupExec 12.5 with a Quantum tape loader with bar code reader.

How can I know what tapes I need to load to perform the restore?

When you run the restore, it will stop and ask for tape 'XXXX' but you have to run an import for the job to recognize it. You can't run the import job because the restore job is still queued. I end up cancelling the restore, run the import job, then re-run the restore. The problem is that it may ask for another tape, and the process starts over again.

I need to know what tapes I need before the restore so I can load them into the autoloader and import them.

Thanks fpr any help provided.

7 REPLIES 7

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

when you click on restore there will be 3 tabs

1> view by resource

2>view by media

3> view selection details

Select what you want to restore in view by resource and then click view by media and scroll down to check which tape it is using. Make sure you put that tape in to restore the data

CBR954
Level 2

My backups take 4 tapes. When I did the restore, it only needed two tapes, yet the view by media simply shows all 4 tapes. How do I know which tapes when I am just trying to restore a few files???

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

I don't think there's any way of knowing.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That is right because when the job spans on multiple tapes it will show you all the tapes where data spanned. You have to put all the tapes in the library to make sure the restore gets successful. If it is standalone it will prompt you to put the next tape and will give you the tape number as well

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

re: When you run the restore, it will stop and ask for tape 'XXXX' but you have to run an import for the job to recognize it. You can't run the import job because the restore job is still queued. I end up cancelling the restore, run the import job, then re-run the restore.

What library/autoloader/robot is this?  Normally, I don't recall having to cancel a restore in order to run an import, but it has been a while.  Do you other posters run into this also?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Single drive autoloaders have always given me this headache.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Interesting...  I just tested it on a PV-124T and it worked fine... so it may depend upon the features/style of the autoloader.  Or my test was bogus because I had more devices than the one autoloader so BE popped a couple alerts requesting me to insert or import the tape to various places.