cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore Exchange 2003 mailbox with BE 10d

BCT-Tech
Level 2

We need to recover 2 mailboxes from a LTO3 tape backup with Backup Exec 10d.  The Exchange Server (2003) has long been decomissioned and is not accessible.

We have a Windows 2003 Server and BE 10d installed, and the LTO tape drive working.

What are the steps needed to extract the 2 mailboxes?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need a server with Exchange 2003 to recover the mailboxes.  These mailboxes cannot be recovered using a newer version of Exchange.  This is a Microsoft limitation.

If you have BE 2014 which is the latest version, then you could restore the mailboxes to PST's, thus eliminating the need for an Exchange server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need a server with Exchange 2003 to recover the mailboxes.  These mailboxes cannot be recovered using a newer version of Exchange.  This is a Microsoft limitation.

If you have BE 2014 which is the latest version, then you could restore the mailboxes to PST's, thus eliminating the need for an Exchange server.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

PST restores would be possible only if this was a GRT enabled backup. And if the backup was GRT enabled, then pkh's suggestion of restoring to .pst would be the easiest option.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there is another way around this...duplicate the Information Store to disk to get the *.edb file. Once done, use an application "Kernel for Exchange" to pull the information out of the *.edb into a *.pst.

It works well, and I've used it in the past before restoring to PST came with BE 2012 (which I never bothered to install) or where I couldn't do a straight restore to Exchange with BE.

Thanks!

BCT-Tech
Level 2

How do I duplicate the Information Store to disk?

Thanks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

10d SHOULD be the same as the link below, just check it out and see:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

You would want to duplicate existing backup sets.

Thanks!

BCT-Tech
Level 2

I tried duplicating the information store to disk, with 3 different tapes. It would write some data to the recovery folder, then error out saying "the storage device has failed".

I uninstalled BE11d and installed BE 2014. I have tried twice now to restore the Exchange data. It sees the mailbox store, but errors out with "Connection to the restore target has been lost".

I have installed all the lastest patches to 2014.

Any ideas?