cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore from bkf-files on USB-Disk

joachim_k
Level 3

Hello,

i perform Backup-To-Disk Jobs on our NAS. After the fullbackup there is a job which duplicates the fullbackup. These bkf-Files are copied to a USB-Disk. What has to be done to restore files from the full-Backup stored on the USB-Disk?

with best regards

Joachim Kühne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is precisely the problem that you get when you copy .bkf files and try to restore them. Read the document which I have referenced earlier for the reason why

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you say copied to USB disk, did you actually copied the .bkf files to the USB disk or did you duplicate them? If it is the former, then you should not do this. If it is the latter, then the backup set on the USB disk would be in the catalog and you should be able to see and select them during the restore

joachim_k
Level 3

First i duplicate the files (as a job within Backupexec) and then i copy the dulicated bdf-files to USB.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should not copy .bkf files. See this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061 You should always duplicate backup sets

SSR_7767
Level 4

It may be recommended not to copy .bkf files.

I have tried that in the past and it had worked. You will have to add the USB storage to Backup Exec and then run a Inventory & Catalog.

Once the catalog is complete, you will be able to see the backup sets and should be able to restore.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do read the document referenced earlier carefully.

You may have gotten away with it before, but what you have done could have damaged your catalog.

SSR_7767
Level 4

Worth giving it a try if I have a copy of the Data & Catalogs folder prior to the attempt.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can always try unsupported/not recommended procedures yourself, but please refrain from advising others to do so on an open forum.  Are you going to help him when things go wrong or stand besides him when he has to face his boss?

joachim_k
Level 3

hello,

thank you for your response.

I think so far everything i did is correct. I have two Backup-to-Disk-Folders. One is used for the weekly fullbackup und the daily incremental backups and one is used for the duplicated bkf-files of the full-backup (after the weekly full-backup i have a job which duplicates the bkf-files from the weekly full-backup). I have checked the bkf-files in these two backup-to-disk-folders and there are no identical bkf-files.

After the full-backup is duplicated i copy the duplicated files from the NAS to a USB-Disk (to have a physical backup out of the company). These bkf-files of the USB-Disk from which i want to restore files have the same filename as the bkf-files on the Backup-to-Disk-Folder for the duplicated bkf-files.

First i tried to create a new Backup-to-Disk-Folder to the the attached USB-disk. But Backup Excec give the following message (translation from the german message: the folder is not found in the specified path. There is already a device on this computer and can not be added as a shared device).

So i deleted the Backup-To-Disk-folder with the duplicated bkf-Files and the i could create a new one with the path to the attached USB-Disk. Next i did a inventory and then a catalog-job. The catalog-job ends with error E0000900. I found this article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech33576

When i change the option explained in the article above, the catalog-job ends successfully but the sum of Byte = 0 and i cannot restore data from that medium.

Do you have an idea how i can restore files from the usb-Disk?

regards,

Joachim

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is precisely the problem that you get when you copy .bkf files and try to restore them. Read the document which I have referenced earlier for the reason why