cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop .BKF files from being produced?

Supermean
Level 3

Hi All

We are running symantec backup exec 12.5 and I have been trying to clear up some space on the server.  I notice that there was alot of these files and wanted to move them somewhere else because they are huge. (Check screenshot below)

http://13l.imghost.us/wj/backupexec.PNG

However, I notice the next day that there are more files appeared which look the same and the space I freed up has gone again.  I am sure that I have stopped the scheduled backup looking at the job monitor:

http://13l.imghost.us/8rA.png

Could anyone help me idenitfy why its still running when it clearly says 'on hold'.  The server is small business server 2008.

Regards

Supermean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you can't find the job that is creating these files then you may have to log a formal support case for us to take a more in-depth look (I believe 12.5 remains under partial support so you should still be able to do this - assuming you have a support agreement). You other option would be to choose to start with an Empty Backup Exec database and then re-configure/recreate all your configuration from zero - however this is a very drastic option that will have other effects (loss of media retention settiongs etc)

A quick thought however Windows Backup (that is built into the Operating System) can also create bkf files - I assume no one has configured this to use the same output folder as Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

These are the Backups that are being performed to disk. Moving the files from the system or deleting them would hamper your ability to restore data that has been backed up.

Only way of not creating the files is by not backing up to a Backup to disk folder.

Colin_Weaver

Looks like you have another backup job still running/scheduled that is creating the files.

Have you filtered your job monitor view and therefore hidden some of the jobs?

Are there job log (.XML files) in your data folder that can be opened manually to see what jobs ran overnight?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,
   Check the time if when the files are getting created. Accordingly look in th eJob monitor to know which job ran at that time. And then put that job on Hold.

Thanks,
-Sush...

Supermean
Level 3

Hi

No filters look like they are applied. Please see img below.

http://13l.imghost.us/qG.png

Could you specify the location of the data folder so I can take a look?

Thanks

Supermean
Level 3

Hello

I had a feeling thats what they are, but surely it shouldnt be running anything if the only job on the job schedule window is 'on hold' since last thursday.

Thanks.

Supermean
Level 3

Hi there

Could you point me in the direction to check the e-job monitor? or is that the same as the job monitor tab?

If its the same, then the job is set on Hold and shouldnt be running anything?

Thanks

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

It is a job moniter. There must be another job that might be running. Try to set the filter to show all jobs and see if more jobs are visible.

Also, see the job logs and try to find if there was anything that was executed around the time when those files were created.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I notice that there was alot of these files and wanted to move them somewhere else because they are huge.

You should not move/copy .bkf files. See the document below

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

If you need to move them elsewhere, duplicate the backup sets and then delete them.

Supermean
Level 3

Oh thanks I never knew that.  I wont move them again.  I assume by 'duplicate the backup sets'  you mean run the backup again putting them in a different directory?

Supermean
Level 3

Hello

I have changed the filter accordingly on the job monitor tab.  The only job there is has been put on hold schedule, there is nothing else.  I have check there are no filters applied.  See below:

http://s22.postimg.org/bvdglpq0h/filter.png

Also there does not seem to be anything on the reports by the name of 'job logs' to check, I have however ran a query for a job summary and as you can see it reports nothing.

http://13l.imghost.us/pZ8.png

So I am still perplexed as to where these files are coming from if the only job is on hold?

Thanks

Supermean

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Duplicate backup job would copy the data of this .bkf files to the target that you have set - Tape, another B2D folder or Deduplication device/folder.

It does not backup the data again from the source/network.

Edit - These links should help you

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24544

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187265

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Supermean,
    Do you have any other BE server in the environment whose backups are targeted to this folder?? If not then as you have already put the job on hold you can try to completely Stop all Backup Exec services on this server.

Thanks,
-Sush...

Supermean
Level 3

Ahh I see. So the .BKF files are not used to restore from, but rather they are the output of the backup jobs, is that correct? In that case, is it possible to compress or reduce the size of these .BKF files?

I will read through those two links.

Thanks

Supermean

Supermean
Level 3

Hi Sush

We run only one box with symantec backup exec for small business server 2008, therefore it could only be coming from this installation.   To try the second suggestion, would that mean going into services.msc and stopping them that way?

Thanks

Supermean

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Well not really, .BKF files are used to store data when the backup is performed and restore the data from. However, in case of a duplicate job, they are used as a source to read the backup set from to duplicate it some place else (Tape, Dedup or another B2D).

It is not possible to compress them without losing the data. Hence, this is not recomended and suggested.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Supermean,
    You can stop all BE services from services.msc

Thanks,
-Sush...

Colin_Weaver

If you can't find the job that is creating these files then you may have to log a formal support case for us to take a more in-depth look (I believe 12.5 remains under partial support so you should still be able to do this - assuming you have a support agreement). You other option would be to choose to start with an Empty Backup Exec database and then re-configure/recreate all your configuration from zero - however this is a very drastic option that will have other effects (loss of media retention settiongs etc)

A quick thought however Windows Backup (that is built into the Operating System) can also create bkf files - I assume no one has configured this to use the same output folder as Backup Exec.

Supermean
Level 3

I see. I am going to try what Sush suggested and stop all the symantec services for the time being.  What do you suggest I do with these files, just leave them as they are?  The drive reports only 900kb left out of a capcity of about 400gb.

Thanks

Supermean

Supermean
Level 3

Thanks Im going to stop them now.

-Supermean