cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade from build 6235 to 7170

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
We're running one media server and seven remote agents with build 6235. I plan to upgrade all of them to build 7170. From what I know this should be simple, just running setup on each server and then follow the on-screen instruction. But do I need to upgrade all servers at the same time? If possible I prefer upgrade one server by another, with the media server first.

6 REPLIES 6

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Jimmy,

The recommended way would be to upgrade your Media Server, and yes it is very simple just run setup and it will do everything for you. 

Once that is upgraded and rebooted you can push install the remote agents out to the other 7 servers.  You do not need to do this all at once, but it is recommended to do so.  You will still get backups but any fixes that are in the new version would not apply until all agents are upgraded.

Patty

scott1000
Level 2
I have the same question.  I just upgraded CPS, but had to uninstall BE 11D build 6235 and then install BE 11D build 7170.  It was a pain.  Now I am trying to upgrade BE 11D build 6235 to build 7170 and it wont upgrade.

I get a "internal error 2755.110"  Same error I got when I tried to upgrade CPS.  I do not want to uninstall every instance of media server and remote agent just to do this upgrade.

What gives?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Scott,
What is occurring when you receive this error?
The install log would be more specific.  Was it when it was writing to the registry?
When it was dismounting the DB?
Please provide me with more information on what was happening.
Thanks.
Patty

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Scott,

You also might want to look at this Microsoft article:

Let me know if this corrects the issue.

Thanks.
Patty

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
We didn't install CPS yet so hopefully we will not encounter this issue. However I still cannot understand why this "upgrade" is packaged as another build rather than a service pack? I guess with service pack Symantec will provide better documentation on how to install, instead of now it seems upgrade instruction does not exist.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Jimmy,

The admin's guide has a lot of good information in it. 

Also here is a Best Practices for Upgrades and Installations:

Patty