cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V & Backup Exec 2010R2 - Restore Issues

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have seen a number of technotes which refer to this subject, but am unsure if this is now resolved or we a still awaiting a fix.

I have Backup Exec 2010R2 installed on a W2K8R2 Windows server.  This is backing up data to a DataDomain 620 device (using OST) from physical servers (all Windows) no problems.  I have just introduced a backup from a number of servers ina 3 node Hyper-V cluster.

I installed the remote windows agent onto each of the three Hyper-V nodes.  I installed the Hyper-V agent onto the Media Server.  No need (I believe) to install the VHDMount utility on the Media Server as it is running W2K8R2.

Backups are running OK from Hyper-V (after manually selecting the Microsoft VSS method of Open File technology, as I have DELL VSS writers installed also - although not being used).  Unless the Remote Agent for Windows is installed on the VM being backed up I do get the message that GRT restores will not be available directly to the VM - that's OK.

However, when I come to restore individual files or folders (whether a redirected restore to the Media Server or directly to the client after installing the Remote Agent) I am receiving an error as follows:

Directory _SharedHardlinkData_ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
V-79-57344-5894 - The object was not found, or could not be accessed (Hyper-V backup).

The backup set is 'staged' back to the TEMP location OK, the alternate location directory structure is created as expected - but no data is restored.  The staged data is removed from the TEMP location when the job fails.

I get the same error whether I try and restore to the orignal location (when the remote agent is installed on the VM) or to an alternate location (the media server in my case).

I see a 'very similar' hit on the this forum stating that there is a workaround for this by manually mounting the VHD on the media server and then doing a restore from it.  Also, it states that this is a known error and Symantec hope to have a fix in Q1/2012.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is a fix for this available at this point ?

2. Does Backup Exec 2010R3 fix this issue ?

3. How do I perform the workaround - it doesn't explain how to do this ?

Any input appreciated,

AJ. 

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

The issue is still not fixed (atleast not in BE2010 R3), you may see the fix in BE2012.

Subscribe to the below article to get updates on the issue.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164266

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should still upgrade to R3 because there would be no new fixes for R2 and there are a lot of fixes between R3 and R2.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can anyone guide me on how to perform the workaround as noted in the article TECH164266 ?

AJ.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try using this link http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/tip/Mounting-VHD-files-in-Hyper-V-environments for the 1st workaround of the KB article (note, there are other articles as well, though I found this to be quite simple)

Second workaround is to re-direc the restore of the VHd, mount it (the above link can be used) & then extract the individual file