cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR and win2k servers

Jim_Kroeger
Level 2
Testing the IDR function in 9.0. It seems to work fine on Win2k3 servers. When running on Win2k, it gets to the point of trying to restore the file - IE system state, utility and the hard drive and each one of these fail after the tape is mounted. The error message is "Unable to attach to one of the drives".
4 REPLIES 4

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

You can refer to the following document which has info. related to this error.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263176

During the IDR Restore, in the IDR recovery wizard, after specifying the media server name and password, the remote server being recovered should be listenin on port 10000. Because it is at that point that the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is installed on the remote server.

To see if the remote server is listening on TCP port 10000, hit Alt+z to bring up a command prompt, and enter: netstat -an

If you do not see port 10000 listed, at the command prompt, enter: sc query BackupExecAgentAccelerator.

If port 10000 does not appear in the 'netstat' command output and BackupExecAgentAccelerator fails to appear in the 'sc' command output, check functionality of the NIC on the remote server. Use the IPCONFIG command to determine the status of the remote server's NIC and IP address. The NIC may be non-functional due to driver issues. And in addition to all the above mentioned failures, if the remote server's NIC is found to be working properly, then the issue could be due to a corrupted IDR ISO Image.Recreate the ISO image if testing IDR or perform a manual restore to restore the server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Jim_Kroeger
Level 2
The server I'm trying to resore is not listening on port 10000. The backup server is. The sc command shows the backup exec service as stopped. I am unable to start the service using net start. I receive an error "The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion". When I try to install the remote agent by running setupaa, it appears to run for a while and does not error out, but the service does not start. I checked the registry for the image path, and this is correct.
I am going to try and run the idr process on a virtual image to see if I run into the same problem. Like I said it works fine for all the win2k3 servers I tested on, but I tried this on three different win2k servers and they all fail the same way.

Jim_Kroeger
Level 2
OK, I tried this in a VM image. It fails the same way. the machine is listening on port 10000. backupexec is started and running fineas a service. The nic is working fine - good ip address and I can see/ping other servers. I recreated the ISO image and still am having the same problem. anything else I can try ?????

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi Jim,
you could try the following:

- Check once again if ping works both ways with ping -a IP-add
- Check if a temp IDR user is created in backup exec
- Now try to browse through the backup selection to the server which is being restored using IDR. I know that you are doing IDR :). This is to check if there is any permission issue for the account with which the restore is run.
- Make sure that all the backup exec services except for the remote agent are running under a domain admin account which has admin rights on the remote server which is being restored.
- Remove any connections open on the server. I mean, do net share and see how many are shown. If you have any mapped network drives then disconnect till the restore is completed.

Hope this helps. Do revert back in case of queries.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.