cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial view of Select List for RHEL V6.2 server takes too long

Keith_W__Hare
Level 4

I have BE2012 running on a W2003 R2 standard x86 server and RALUS 2012 build 1798 HF 180962 running on a RHEL V6.2 linux server.

When I edit the linux job on BE2012, it takes about 45 seconds for the selection list to populate. During this time, BE2012 probes the linux system on ports 445, 137, and 135. Since the linux system is configured to be secure, the linux iptables INPUT rules are logging, then blocking, these ports.

The selection list eventually displays but it could be much faster.

Anyone have any idea why is BE2012 probing on these ports that do not seem to apply to linux?

Anyone have any idea if there is anything I can configure to speed up the selection list display?

(I opened a technical support case on this subject, but the response was that RHEL V6.2 is not on the Software Compatibility List.)

Keith

3 REPLIES 3

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

If RHEL v6.2 is not present in SCL, it is recommended not to use BE to backup that server coz its any issue's related to it will not be supported by Symantec.

However, the port numbers you mentioned are the NETBIOS and NETBIOS Name Service ports. 

How is your linux server added in BE 2012? i.e. using the Server name? or IP address?

If its added using the Server name, did you try adding it via IP address? (or vice versa)

Keith_W__Hare
Level 4

I added the linux servers by name. I understand your suggestion for trying adding them by IP address, but this is an annoyance, not a critical issue.

I have some sympathy with the software versions issues, but my limited experience with support for RHEL versions suggests that Symantec will be at minimum of 6 to 12 months behind RHEL versions.This gives me yet another reason to find an alternative to Backup Exec.

Keith

stenorman2001
Level 3

Hi Keith,

I had the same problem with CentOS 6.3, but adding ports 135, 137, 139 and 445 into IPTables coming from the BE server caused the list to populate almost immediatelty.

Hope this helps you and others that have similar problems.

Cheers,

Stephen