cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert overwriteable media for full backup

grahwong
Level 3

I'm running a full backup of a server to an HP StorageWorks system using LTO-4 (1.6TB) cartridges.  It's been using up more tapes than usual and asking me to insert cartridges.

I've been doing this, but in order to get the cartridges to be recognized, I've been canceling the job, inventorying and erasing the cartridges, then running the job again.  I've noticed that I'm using over twice as many cartridges as usual. Is that because the job is starting over from the beginning?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your screenshots are too small to read, but from what I can see, you are using partitions which is why you are restricted to each row.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

Instead of running and cancelling the jobs try scheduling an inventory job on the tape drive before the job starts.  see pg 423 in the Backup Exec 2012 Administration Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5211 

grahwong
Level 3

Thanks for responding.

I'm sorry if I was unclear.

The backup job was already running, it used up all the available cartridges and asked me to insert overwriteable media. I remove the other cartridges, insert new ones, try to inventory, but after a few minutes, the only thing that happened was a constant message to insert overwriteable media. It seemed that it wouldn't do anything until the backup job was either completed or canceled. That's why I canceled. Should I have waited longer?

Then I was able to inventory the new cartridges, I ran the full backup script again. I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but did the backup start all over again from scratch?

Also, I can't schedule an inventory since I don't know when the backup job will run through the media set. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Take a look at the joblogs of the jobs. It will tell you the media used. For example Job1 used Tape1 and Job2 used Tape2. This will tell you that Job2 started firm the beginning of Tape2. What you are doing in the initial post is correct. You cannot do an inventory while a job is running

grahwong
Level 3

"You cannot do an inventory while a job is running"

So even when it's asks for overwriteable media, and I insert it, there's no way to get Backup Exec to recognize it? Ugh.

grahwong
Level 3

"Instead of running and cancelling the jobs try scheduling an inventory job on the tape drive before the job starts."

What I wound up doing is cancelling the job, erasing and re-labeling all the media, then scheduling an inventory to run every hour before running the backup script.

When I ran the backup again, it used the media I provided and didn't ask for more overwriteable media! Assuming that a ton of data didn't disappear from the server, is it possible that the first backup I tried to run lost track somewhere?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check your OPP and AP. Make sure you have sufficient overwritable tapes BEFORE the start of your job

grahwong
Level 3

I'm still having this issue.

I appreciate all the responses, but I see that I haven't provided as much information as I could.

I'm using an HP StorageWorks MSL4048 with has 4 magazines, each magazine has 12 slots (3 rows, 4 slots in each row).

The backup job requires one full row of cartridges (4 in all) which I provide. The problem is that it fills them up and then asks to insert another cartridge creating an import media job. I put that cartridge in another row but have not figured out a way to import that. I have tried to export it first, but that doesn't work. The documentation doesn't make things clear.

For now, I have just been removing the magazine, removing the cartridges from the row and manually placing in the next one and inventorying it.  It "works" but it's time consuming. 

I apologize if I'm not being clear, I inherited this system and am still trying to find my way around it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since your job requires more than 4 tapes, why don't you put more tapes into the library BEFORE the start of the job.

grahwong
Level 3

"Since your job requires more than 4 tapes, why don't you put more tapes into the library BEFORE the start of the job."

I do.

I fill up one row completely (that's the 4), then put the 5th one in the next row.  The problem is getting Backup Exec to see the 5th tape.

The backup job seems to be able to see only one row of tapes. If there's a way to get it to see two rows, I'd love to know how.

Otherwise, if I need to import that 5th tape, I may be doing it wrong and any advice would be appreciated.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Are you using barcode labels?

2) Are you using partitions?

3) After you put in all the tapes in the library, did you do an inventory and check under the Storage tab  that they are all recognised?

grahwong
Level 3

To answer your questions:

1) No

2) No

3) Yes, all tapes are inventoried and recognized under the Storage tab, but...the storage set for each back up job corresponds to only one row on a magazine.

I have not been able to get a backup job to add the storage set connected to the next row.  I don't know if it's a limitation of Backup Exec, the HP StorageWorks device or my own lack of proficiency with both.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Can you give a screenshot of what you mean by storage set?  Also attached a sceenshot of the library slots after you have loaded tapes to more than 1 row.

grahwong
Level 3

Storage set: Screenshots 1 and 2

Library slots: Screen Shot Row 1 and 2

Screenshot Row 2 is where I insert the 4 tapes. Screenshot Row 1 is where I put the 5th tape.

Keep in mind that I've already manually inserted the tapes for the backup which is why the tape in row 1 has data written to it.  When I took the screenshot, a verify job was running which is why you'll see 3 tapes in row 2, and not 4.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your screenshots are too small to read, but from what I can see, you are using partitions which is why you are restricted to each row.

grahwong
Level 3

Thanks, I see that now.

I'll see if I can modify the partitions for my needs.