Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing agents on non domain server

Hayden_2
Level 3
Partner
Hi All,

I am running Symantec Backupex 12.5. We have a new web server being deployed. For obvious reasons, this machine is not on the domain. Is there a guide to deploying agents to a non domain machine? I am having difficulty doing this. We have a maintenance agreement, so Backupex 2010 is an option.
6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

For 32-bit install:
Copy two folders namely : RAWS32 and MSXML on a NEW folder on the Web Server
open the command prompt On the Web server:
Example : D:\AGENT\RAWS32\>setupaa.cmd

and run setup.cmd

Go to Start-->All Prog-->Symantec-->Remote agent Utility
Go to the Publishing TAB and Enable Publishing, Add the IP Address of the Backup Exec Server and restart the Remote Agent Service

For 63 bit install: follow the same process except copy RAWSx64 OR RAWS64 and run setupaa64.cmd

Hope this helps...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Hayden,

It's very simple to do that...

1. Install the RAWS agent on the server in question. You can run this from either the installation CD/DVD, or by copying the RAWS32 (or RAWSX64) folders from your network source (%installation files directory%\WINNT\INSTALL\RAWS32 or RAWSX64). Run Setup.exe to install it.

2. Once done, create a local user account, and give it local admin rights to your server, along with any necessary admin rights to any web server user groups created.

3. On your media server, add in another user account under Network --> Logon Accounts. You will have to use the IP address as in: 192.168.0.1\account_name UNLESS you add an entry into your media server's hosts file to point to that web server.

4. Add this server in under User Defined Selections using the IP address, and browse to it. When it eventually pops up a dialog box asking what username/password to use, select the account created.

This will work...I have used the same method on a number of occasions.

Laters!

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Do NOT install it from the Install CD as the Liveupdates will not be present in the CD. Copying RAWS32 is the RIGHT method.

David_Perrin
Level 5
I have used the wizard from the TOOLS menu to install remote agents to non-domain servers.  You just have to specify a valid user/password for the machine.  At least that is what I recall.

Hayden_2
Level 3
Partner
Thanks guys,

Just like in the old version, rawsx64 worked fine.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Cool dude...can you close off with the solution?