Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instead of overwriting media Backup Exec creates new B2Disk Media

nutshell
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Folks,

I use Backup Exec 2010 R3.

In my B2Disk Folder are about 2000 files that can be overwritten by new backup jobs. It seems that BE always creates new files instead of overwriting files that could be overwritten.

I configured the global setting that BE should use first media that could be overwritting instead of taking temp media.

In my backup jobs I configured to use a media Set for Weekly and for Daily backups.

The media set for daily backups is configured to be overwritten within 5 days. The media could be appended within 2 days.

The media set for weekly backups is configured to be overwritten within 2 weeks. The media could be appended within 2 days.

The mediaoverwriteprotect setting is set to partial with prompt for overwrite. (German: Teilweise - Nur zugewiesene Medien - Aufforderung vor Überschreiben importierter Medien.

What could be the reason for my problem?

Best regards

nutshell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Don't set any job on disk to append - not recommended and in fact in BE 2012 you can't do it any longer because we realized that we might as well enforce the recommendtaion. As the append moves the overrwite period back if you have been appending then the files will not be overwritable at the correct time.

I suspect each job is cerating more than one file because of the amount of data which might mean that legitimately you have a lot of media that will become overwritable at about the same time.

Have you checked that the media is becomming overrwitable in the BE Console or even looked at the dates and times they will become overwritable?

Also remember that if you want your weekly sets to be overwritten every 2 weeks then you have to set 13 days overwrite protection and NOT 2 weeks. Same for the daily ones if you want an antuay 5 day job rotaio n then you would need to set 4 day overwrote protection.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Don't set any job on disk to append - not recommended and in fact in BE 2012 you can't do it any longer because we realized that we might as well enforce the recommendtaion. As the append moves the overrwite period back if you have been appending then the files will not be overwritable at the correct time.

I suspect each job is cerating more than one file because of the amount of data which might mean that legitimately you have a lot of media that will become overwritable at about the same time.

Have you checked that the media is becomming overrwitable in the BE Console or even looked at the dates and times they will become overwritable?

Also remember that if you want your weekly sets to be overwritten every 2 weeks then you have to set 13 days overwrite protection and NOT 2 weeks. Same for the daily ones if you want an antuay 5 day job rotaio n then you would need to set 4 day overwrote protection.