cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inteligen image option

dlarouche
Level 3
Is there anyone who can tell me if the Inteligent Image option (IIO) come built-in with the backup exec v10?

Also, i would like to know the advantages and cons over the traditional "per file" based backup. Does i still need SQL and Exhange agents when using IIO?

Third question is abouy the difference between the IDR (inteligent disaster recovery) and the ASR (automated disaster recovery).
2 REPLIES 2

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We would like to mention you the following.

1) Intelligent Image Option (IIO) is no longer Supported in Backup Exec v10.x

2) Since IIO is not supported with Backup Exec v10.0 kindly let us know what you are looking for in the Question 2 that you have asked for.

3) We would like to give you an idea about IDR.
INTELLIGENT DISASTER RECOVERY OPTION
Implement a server recovery solution for both local and remote Windows servers, eliminating the need to first reload the entire operating system of crashed servers. Using either diskette-based, CD-R/CD-RW or bootable tape, Intelligent Disaster Recovery will quickly recover downed servers enabling restores from the last complete backup set including full, differential, incremental, and working set backups. The Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option integrates directly with Microsoft’s Automated System Recovery (ASR) functionality in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP to provide complete disaster recovery on Windows servers.
So inorder to protect any computer be it local or remote, one needs to purchase license to enable the option.
Once you obtain the license from our Sales department, you may refer following technote to make the option work.
Kindly refer the following technote:-

1) The Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) process, step by step http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192923.htm

Using IDR one can take backup of the server and recover it under disaster recovery situations and you can bring them back up to its pre-disaster state automatically.

Backup Exec software would help you backup all the files including services which are as System State and Databases which are backed up using agents.Backup Exec IDR gives complete recovery solution.
--------------------------------------------------------
For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 computers, Windows Automated System Recovery (ASR) configuration files are contained in the asr.sif and adrpnp.sif files.

The ASR files are necessary to recreate partitions on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 computers during the recovery process.
Note If you created a bootable CD image and chose to create and add the ASR files to the CD image, you must recreate the bootable CD image to update the ASR files.
These above steps would be helpful to restore your primary server incase if crashes or there is some disaster.
As an additional information, please refer the following technote

(The ASR feature, which replaces the Emergency Repair Disk for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, allows you to restore the operating system to a previous state so
that you can start Windows)

Title:- How to restore a Windows server using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers 9.x http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262134.htm

dlarouche
Level 3
To answer your question about what i need to do with IIO:

The IIO option look interesting because (as i seen) it work without agents such SQL, Exchange,... right? Also in traditional backup, we see a lot of "skiped" files for many reasons.

I am curious to know why it has been removed and what is its equivalent in V10. I tend to believe that backuping an image of a file system may be a reliable solution. Since a long time, i use OFO, but it give sometimes more problem than it help to have a reliable backups. I cannot imagine that in 2005 we are not able to have a software with "GO" button that just do its jobs when clicked!!!

Your answer has been helpful to see the relation between ASR and IDR. But does it mean that IDR cannot work without ASR? I mean, if i have a W2000 server, can i implement IDR? This is what i need to do shortly in order to have a better DRP for a Win 2000 server farm.