cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier

Rem700
Level 3

Error:

(Server: "BACKUP") (Job: "Trogdor Backup-Duplicate AM") Trogdor Backup-Duplicate AM -- The job failed with the following error: Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier. 

I've moved my BEDB from a dedicated SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 machine to localhost SQL Server Express 2008 R2 SP1.  Migration went fine - no problems. Since then my backup jobs that duplicate to another internal, hot-swap HDD have resulted in the above error.

Performed the following steps to move the DB to the localhost (SQL express):

1) Install the appropriate SQL 2008 R2 instance on the media server, by default the instance is called 'BKUPEXEC'

2) Using beutility.exe, move the database to the new instance

3) From a command prompt, navigate to the installation directory and run 'catrebuildindex -r'

4) Once completed, follow this Technote to clean up the DB: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67239

Any more ideas on what to do?  I do have all the LiveUpdate updates applied as of this post date.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rem700
Level 3

It appears the problem has cleared itself up.  I had a few backups run last night and they all duplicated to their off-site drives fine.  Closing issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know whether this is the cause of your problem.  SQL Express 2008 R2 SP1 is not supported, only SQL Express 2008 R2.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

Do go to the BE installation directory and use the BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

Make sure that the media is online and not paused.

Rem700
Level 3

It appears the problem has cleared itself up.  I had a few backups run last night and they all duplicated to their off-site drives fine.  Closing issue.