cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory new inserted tape

thpang
Level 2
I am assisting in supporting the users of Backup Exec 10 and the users find that Inventory media after inserting new tape for backup is very annoying. Actually they want the Inventory task can be performed automatically.

1. Besides creating a scheduled inventory task to be performed before the backup job, is there any other ways to achieve the same result?

2. I found Below is the procedure extracted from page p164 (202 of 1530) of the Admin Guide of Backup Exec 10.

To have Backup Exec perform an inventory each time Backup Exec starts
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. In the Properties, under Settings, click Preference.
3. Click Inventory all drives on Backup Exec services startup.
4. Click OK.

Is there anyone try this before? Is the goal can be achieved properly? I have no machine for testing so all i can do is just asking here.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What that option does is inventory whenever the BackupExec services are started.

Aside from doing a manual inventory when they swap tapes (you can give them a CMD file using BEMCMD to do this) about all that you could do would be to stick a pre-job that would inventory the drives as part of each job (again using BEMCMD).

I guess I just don't understand what their problem is. At one point I had 8 DLT drives scattered around my Computer Room. Every morning I'd walk around and replace tapes, then to go to one of the servers and inventory all 8 drives.

Saved my butt a couple of times when I grabbed the wrong tape (say a Wed tape for a Tues job.)

thpang
Level 2
Thanks for your information.

In conclude, to inventory a newly inserted media before backup, the only way is either
1. Inventory the media manually
2. Running a pre command (BEMCMD) for Backup job
Is there any 3rd way?

Besides, can i find any further information in the syntax or usage of BEMCMD?

Thanks for you kindly support

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You could just run the CMD file manually rather than have it execute as a PreJob (Put it on the Desktop for the client)

To get the syntax, cd into the ..\BackupExec\NT directory and do

"BEMCMD /? > BEMCMD.TXT"

This should create a TXT file with all the switches enumerated in it.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
And the 3rd way is to schedule an Inentory say 30 minutes before the backup.

The option to schedule Inventory and other utility jobs was added specifically for customers for the very reason you are wanting - "they didn't want to have to inventory media every time it was changed for a backup and this was especially so in remote offices where there was no technical or support expertise".

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Thpang,

Other than the methods suggested by Ken You may schedule the inventory. You seem to be doing this already though as per you r very first response.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.