cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restored deleted files

marko_pilz
Level 2
I made a full backup of 10 files. The day after I deleted 5 files and made an incremental backup. Then I tried to restore the files and got a restore with 10 files instead of 5. How do I have to configure the restore job to get the correct 5 files?
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you restoring the incremental backup set?

What are the steps that you have followed to restore these files?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

marko_pilz
Level 2
Hello.

Sorry i was out of office...
First we restored the full backup and second the incremental sets.

Marko

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
This is by desing of BE ever since ..... !

BE does not write a journal while backing up data. That means it does not know wht was deleted. The incremental backup is not related to the last full backup - it simply backups all files and folders with archive bit is set.

Therefore, when recovering the full backup, your 5 deleted files will be restored. When later on recovering the INC backup, it ONLY restores files, it does NOT delete any files !!

The only way with BE to prevent this is to update to version 10 and install the new ADBO (advanced disk based backup) option to be able to generate synthetic backups, that do write a journal and do not restore deleted files.
But please inform yourself about adbo before installing - it is NOT just normal backup with deleted file exclusion.
It is slower and needs disk space etc. etc.

Hope this helps

regards

uz