cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is GRT even working?

RNW
Level 3

Hi,

I'm running Exchnage 2003 (on SBS2003) and running a backup of the exchange database to tape with the GRT option enabled. The backup completes and verifies successfully. That being the case I would expect to be able to restore individual messages\mailboxes from the restore option. However when I select the mailbox store there is nothing to drill down into.

Is the GRT working or am I missing something?

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5

Anup
Level 6
Certified
Duplicate the backup from tape to disk and see if  you are able to see GRT restore

RNW
Level 3

Hi Anup,

I ran a backup to disk for the exchange store last night and yes I can restore individual items from that but still no option from the tape backup! Is this by design? We don't have the space (or time in our backup window) to run an extra backup each night. Is there a fix for this that you know of?

Many thanks.

kheven
Level 3

No, it's not by design.

Restoring individual items from GRT backups that are on tape are still possible.

It just has to run a staging process first where it restores the entire information store to a local temporary folder first.

There must be some other factor in play here that's stopping you from restoring individual items.

What version of Backup Exec are you using

kheven
Level 3

This thread seems to have a whole lot of people having the same problem, and a Symantec employee helping out somewhat. No actual answer though.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be12_exchange&thread.id=96&view=by_date_as...

RNW
Level 3

Hi Kheven,

We're running backup exec 12. Cheers for the link to the other post. I've added myself to the list of people with the problem. Looks like Symantec have washed their hands of it. Not been a post on that one since mid last month.