cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a comparison document betwen 32 bit and 64 bit versions of BE?

Gai-jin
Level 3
We're preparing to move Backup Exec to a new server running 2008 R2 Standard.  I'd like to install the 64 bit version of BE on this server, but first I need to know if the 64 bit version supports all of the same features/options as the 32 bit version. 

Is there any kind of a document or support article comparing the two?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Well, there is no difference documentation, as there is no difference. Both are same Backup Exec softwares with same features, the only difference that I can remember is that SPN is not supported with Backup Exec 12.x 64 bit. There are no other known limitations in terms of these softwares. It is totally dependent on what kind of architecture you have. So, if you have 64 bit OS, you use BE 64 bit, and if you have 32 bit OS, you go for 32 bit BE.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Well, there is no difference documentation, as there is no difference. Both are same Backup Exec softwares with same features, the only difference that I can remember is that SPN is not supported with Backup Exec 12.x 64 bit. There are no other known limitations in terms of these softwares. It is totally dependent on what kind of architecture you have. So, if you have 64 bit OS, you use BE 64 bit, and if you have 32 bit OS, you go for 32 bit BE.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
 If you have a large Exchange Server and intend to use the GRT technology then I would recommend using a 64bit Backup Exec Media Server - the memory addressing limitations on a 32bit operating system have been known to limit some GRT operations which using a 64bit Operating System (and therefore version of Backup Exec) avoids