cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job History is missing after BExec Reload

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I needed to reload Backuip Exec 2010 on the same server.

I have imported the catalogs into the new directory. And I have verified thatthe "Restore job" does see the catalogs to choose from.

Problem

I do not have any job history in the 'Job History' section.

Question

How to I retrieve my job history?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Firstly if you decide to reload BE becauise of a database problem so do not migrate the old database, then then obviously nothiing can be retreived (there is no way to merge BEDB content from an old BEDB into a new BEDB if you have already started using the new BEDB. As long as you are using a current or recemt BE version (and have a current support arrangement) you should really be working with tech support to look into BEDB issues and not re-instaling or loading an empty one.

There is some information on what is held where in this article:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000015327

However because the article is concenrating on media handling it does not mention that the Job History and Job Configuration information is also inside the BEDB and it does not mention that the job logs are BEX*.XML files in the data folder

As such basic protection of a BE server is

Copies or Backups of

- Catalogs folder

- BEDB.bak from the Data folder (as long as it is updating at least once a day - if it is not updating then you need to find out why) You can also copy the .MDF / .LDF pair to achieve the same result although thse files will be open whilst services are running.

- Exported DEK (BE 15 and later)

- BEX*.xml files from the Data folder

- *.SLF files (or documentation) for your licenses (BE 2012 or later)

- besurnum.xml (or documentation) for your licenses (BE 2010 R3 or earlier)

- documentaion (Passphrases) for any backup set encryption keys

- documentaion of the account details used for the deduplication storge folder (if in use/present)

You of course also need to think about the storage locations so:

- tapes (some of these woud normally be held offsite)

- backup to disk (usually you would duplicate these to removeable disk or tape)

- deduplication storage (usually you would duplicate these to removeable disk or tape or deduplication storage folder on another BE server using CASO)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

The job history is held in the BEDB

and just for extra info the Job Logs are in the ..\DATA folder as BEX*.xml files

As such if you ONLY brought back the catalogs yes you will see the restore selections but no job details (including the history)

Note: You cannot bring back the BEDB if you have been running new backups on this server since the reload as there is no merge ability so it now may be too late to get that back and if you bring the BEX*.xml files back you won't be able to see them in the BE console - but will be able to open them manually (where they can be read, although will be missing the formatting so are slightly harder to read)

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you for reply.

The reason I reloaded BExec was becasue the BEDB appeared to be unusable. And all BEutility repairs/restores etc failed.

So, I reloaded BExec.

1. So without the BEDB, the job log history is gone?

2. I had not imported the folder called "catstore". Should I? What is this contents?

papali
Level 3

Hi, given that I too have the same version of backup exec, I add:

What would be the folders to backup to be able to reinstall BEX in another server and restore it without losing jobs, logs and various settings? there is a step by step procedure?

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver

Firstly if you decide to reload BE becauise of a database problem so do not migrate the old database, then then obviously nothiing can be retreived (there is no way to merge BEDB content from an old BEDB into a new BEDB if you have already started using the new BEDB. As long as you are using a current or recemt BE version (and have a current support arrangement) you should really be working with tech support to look into BEDB issues and not re-instaling or loading an empty one.

There is some information on what is held where in this article:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000015327

However because the article is concenrating on media handling it does not mention that the Job History and Job Configuration information is also inside the BEDB and it does not mention that the job logs are BEX*.XML files in the data folder

As such basic protection of a BE server is

Copies or Backups of

- Catalogs folder

- BEDB.bak from the Data folder (as long as it is updating at least once a day - if it is not updating then you need to find out why) You can also copy the .MDF / .LDF pair to achieve the same result although thse files will be open whilst services are running.

- Exported DEK (BE 15 and later)

- BEX*.xml files from the Data folder

- *.SLF files (or documentation) for your licenses (BE 2012 or later)

- besurnum.xml (or documentation) for your licenses (BE 2010 R3 or earlier)

- documentaion (Passphrases) for any backup set encryption keys

- documentaion of the account details used for the deduplication storge folder (if in use/present)

You of course also need to think about the storage locations so:

- tapes (some of these woud normally be held offsite)

- backup to disk (usually you would duplicate these to removeable disk or tape)

- deduplication storage (usually you would duplicate these to removeable disk or tape or deduplication storage folder on another BE server using CASO)