cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Rate reduces to ~20mb/min after library replacement

Justin_R_
Level 2
I'm currently having a really strange issue with a Backup Exec 12 connected to an Overland ARCVault LTO3 tape library over SCSI. A few days ago, I loaded some new tapes into the library so BE could use them. As the library was doing its own internal inventory I noticed a fault code on the front display that was preventing the operation from completing. As we have a service agreement with Overland, I called them and they sent a technician. After opening up the library, the technician found a problem with the motor used library itself and decided to replace the entire chassis but to keep the actual drive. When the technician finished his work I connected the SCSI cable to the BE server and ran an inventory through the software which completed without issue. I thought that the issue was resolved and backups would run as normal.

Fast forward about 8 hours later when our monthly backup job is scheduled to start. I decide to login to the server to make sure things are working and see the job has failed with error code E00084F4. I tried reimporting the tape that BE was supposed to use and restarted the job, hoping it would run. While the job status is listed as "Queued" in BE, I logged into the web interface for the library and saw the tape was being loaded into the drive but was quickly unloaded causing BE to report the same error. After trying a different tape, the job started but was working at a horrendously slow rate of 20mb/min when we would often see 400-600mb/min in the past. Thinking this was a network issue, I tried  copying a large file from one of our BE agents directly to the BE server over a 100mbps connection and got a transfer rate of over 10mbps, thus ruling out the network as a cause. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance...
3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

"Queued" in BE means BE is not able to communicate with the Library properly. I would recomend a powercycle on the network.

1  : Turn OFF the Server and the Library and disconnect the Library
2  : Turn ON the server and Turn it back OFF (This step will remove all the entries for the Library in the OS)
3  : Connect the Library and turn it ON...let it boot
4  : Turn ON the Server and check the Device Manager for the Medium Changer and the TAPE Drives.

Make sure that the Medium Changer drives are Microsoft Drivers (Unknown Medium changer) and the drivers for the TAPE Drives are from Symantec http://support.veritas.com/docs/316390
The Removable Storage Service must be stopped and disabled.

Hope this helps...

Dev_T
Level 6
Did it helped?

Dev_T
Level 6
Any news here?