cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job default settings not working?

TR-BE2014
Level 5

In Backup Exec 2014, I've set up job defaults under Configuration and Settings for Duplicate to Tape jobs. My D2T jobs aren't scheduled, so I'm creating them from jobs in my job history by right clicking the desired job and choosing "Duplicate to Tape". The job is not picking up any of the defaults I set (tape partition, append settings, encryption, etc). Is there another way I can create the tape jobs that will use my default settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

So it is possible that the duplicate to tape defaults only apply to a duplicate stage within the definition of a scheduled backup job and not as one off jobs created from the job history or storage sections.

You can easily check this by either

- adding a duplicate to tape stage to an existing job and then checking what has been set by editing the stage.

- creating a backup to disk and duplicate to tape job definition from scratch and editing the stage for the duplicate to check the settings

In either case you could get away with not saving the changed job definitions after seeing the settings (unless you want to)

Note: I can see your post and can't see anything that indicates private, pkh obviously saw your post as well (although we may both be bad examples as I am a Veritas/ex Symantec employee and pkh is a trusted advsior so I guess we may both have extra visibility.)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Most of the default job settings do not apply to duplicate jobs

TR-BE2014
Level 5

The settings are under Configuration and Settings>Job Defaults>Duplicate to Tape. If those settings aren't used for Duplicate to Tape job defaults, what are they used for?

TR-BE2014
Level 5

This thread appears to have been marked private. How do I set it so it can be viewed without being logged in?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

So it is possible that the duplicate to tape defaults only apply to a duplicate stage within the definition of a scheduled backup job and not as one off jobs created from the job history or storage sections.

You can easily check this by either

- adding a duplicate to tape stage to an existing job and then checking what has been set by editing the stage.

- creating a backup to disk and duplicate to tape job definition from scratch and editing the stage for the duplicate to check the settings

In either case you could get away with not saving the changed job definitions after seeing the settings (unless you want to)

Note: I can see your post and can't see anything that indicates private, pkh obviously saw your post as well (although we may both be bad examples as I am a Veritas/ex Symantec employee and pkh is a trusted advsior so I guess we may both have extra visibility.)

TR-BE2014
Level 5

Thanks, Colin. I'll set up a duplicate stage for a job and see what happens.

Regarding the post view, it must be working. When I got an email notice that there was a replay and clicked on the link to the thread, it immediately made me log in instead of displaying the thread. Maybe that's just something about the thread links for OPs. I'll sign out and try again to see what happens.

Edit: D'oh! PKH had sent me a private message, so that's what required the login. This post shows up fine.

Thanks.

TR-BE2014
Level 5

Colin,

Yup, setting up a new stage for the D2T job used all of the settings. I've avoided doing that because the backup system is not in my building and I have to depend on someone else to handle the tapes, but we should be able to work it out. Thanks for the assist.

Since you're on a roll, if you happen to have a minute for one more issue I'm having, I just posted this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/first-tape-set-ignored

Cheers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As I said earlier, the default settings do not apply to duplicate jobs.

TR-BE2014
Level 5

"As I said earlier, the default settings do not apply to duplicate jobs."

That's not entirely correct. As Colin pointed out and I confirmed, the default settings for Dedup to Tape do apply to duplicate jobs that are scheduled and attached as a stage to the original dedup job.