cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job uses Media from Different Media Set then specified

Mike_Vogler
Level 2
We are on Backup Exec 8.6 Rev 3878. I'm new to the company and wish to fix an issue that exists. I have several jobs and 1 distinct media set intended for each job. Each job has the intended media set specified. When the jobs run they are picking media from other media sets. The overwrite protection of each tape was none. Why isn't the job using media from the media set intended for the job? Note each job is specified as "overwite".
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Tools\Options\Overwrite (I think)

Specify "User Overwritable media in the target media set before scratch media"

If you take the defauilt of "Use scratch media before .." BackupExec will use the "oldest" tape it can see (the one that has been in scratch status linges" first, regardless of what media set it may have been in when it was created.

Mike_Vogler
Level 2
Thanks for your answer. I checked the option and it appears that what you suggested is already selected. The text of the selection reads, "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media".

Any other ideas?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

Is/Are there overwriteable media mounted that are from the media set that you want the data written to?

Have you done an inventory after mounting those tapes?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Moving this thread to 8.x forum.

We request you to update us regarding this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool

Mike_Vogler
Level 2
Yes, there is overwrittable media for the appropriate media set available. The inventory was taken with the new tapes in place before the jobs are launched.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In that case, I hve no idea why the other tapes were used. It's not supposed to work that way.

Since v8.x is no longer supported, you can't even ask Veritas about it either. Don't know what else to tell you, except you can try setting up partitions and change your jobs to write to them rather than the real tape drive.

From the devices tab, right click the Library\Create Partitions.

Mike_Vogler
Level 2
Thanks for your assistance. Beyond the library/partition idea are there any other suggestions?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Tou could try deleting and recreating the Media Set

Only other thing you could try would be to uninstall/reinstall

Select "Program files Only" when prompted to save all you job defs/media sets/schedules etc,