cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs do Nothing

Stewart99
Level 4
Just installed 11D. Never used BackupExec before. created a pool for our MSL5000 tape library.

I tried inventorying - says it is running but it does nothing.

Running a backup - stays queued for ever.

Erasing - says it is running but it does nothing.

Am I missing something?

thanks

stewart
8 REPLIES 8

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Stewart,

On the Devices tab in Backup Exec are the drives for the Library listed under the Library or are they listed as standalone drives?

Stewart99
Level 4
I created a media pool and added the 2 drives. It appears to be correct. I deleted the drivers and rebooted. It seems to be working now.

Problem still seems to be that I cannot format the tapes. The format option is greyed out.

Message Edited by Stewart99 on 08-08-200709:03 AM

Stewart99
Level 4
Well. I guess erasing is the same as formatting.

Can someone please tell me why Backup Exec keeps dropping the ability to do anything? I reinstalled the drives and it worked. Rebooted and it failed to do anything when jobs were submitted. Reinstalled drivers again and it worked. rebooted and it didn't.

Now What?

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Format is for optical drives, not tape drives...

Is it possible Microsoft's RSM service is grabbing the drive and laying claim to it?

Stewart99
Level 4
What is the RSM service?

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Removable Storage Manger service...

Google it... it is particularly annoying ot tape libraries...

You can set the service to manual, reboot, then try your job again.  In the service applet, it is called "Removable Storage"

Stewart99
Level 4
RSM is disabled. Can't be it.

Stewart99
Level 4
Ok. I figured out the issue.

I have the library connected to a SCSI card. I have a RAID5 set of 4 tapes. The library uses Symantec BackupExec 11D. The 4 tape drives use CA ArcServe V11.5.

The CA tape engine service runs causing the library to pause or do nothing. Stopping the tape engine allows the libary to do it's thing.

How can I get these both to work together on the same server?

stewart