cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs hang at "Ready"

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
This problem has happened sporatically, but consistently twice in the last week since I've updated to SP3. It is driving me up the wall because I have a terrabyte of customer data to backup.

Randomly, the job scheduler will not work, and all jobs pile up in a "Ready" state and will not run.

This weekend, running inventory on a DLO carosel caused the inventory to hang, and no backups ran. It's also in such a state that the system cannot even be rebooted. Thank goodness I have a remote APC power strip so I can hard reboot the system. This program is driving me up the friggin wall.

What can I do to fix this?
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting any media related alerts?

Verify if server is paused.Also verify the status of the device if it is showing as "offline"

Verify if you are getting any event id's as 7, 9, 11 or 15 in the system event log.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
I may not have mentioned that I have 2 servers in 2 locations. One runs at our remote lab for live backups, and the other is just sitting in-house (a warm backup) ready to restore in case of disaster.

Neither server had event id's 7, 9, 11, or 15 in the system log. Both servers are not paused.

I have seen media related alerts in the past, but they have never affected anything. The media alerts was a bug that I used to get, but not any more. Perhaps SP2, or sometime around that time, fixed that?

Anyhow, in order for me to get servers back online required that I power down BOTH the computers and the robotic libraries simultaneously (so there would be no power in the SCSI cable). Until I did that, the robotic unit was not even found during the SCSI BIOS post. Since I have powered down both simultaneously, everything has worked flawlessly this week! So what in SP3 caused two robotic units to go catatonic on two completely separate systems?? The robotic units are model PowerVault 132T.

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
If after installing Veritas 9.1 SP3, your external robotic library ends up in a permanent offline state, completely power down the computer and the robotic library simultaneously, as the SCSI bus may not reset if just one or the other are powered down individually.