cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large File System Backups

ChrisJ
Level 4
Hi Guys,

Firstly what constitutes a large file system backup?  We have a Dell PE 1950 connected to an MD3000i using iSCSI. On the MD3000i we have 4 volumes that we want to backup - there sizes are 144Gb, 139Gb, 1.03Tb and 94.9Gb and all run at around 95-99% capacity for capacity management reasons - i.e. we monitor the disks and allocate blocks of additional space when they get close to being completely full.  I don't consider the 3 volumes that are below 150Gb to be particually big - but the 1Tb volume I do consider to be very large.

So, are there any special considerations I should have \ take for backing up this large volume? We currently run a weekly full backup and nightly differentials, but are getting far too many issues with the backup hanging during the snapshot processing - often at the end of backing up our largest volume.

We can use AOFO if we need to - I have tried having it both turned on and off and neither option makes any difference. I broadly understand how VSS and AOFO work, but I do lack knowledge of how much space is enough, and how to troubleshoot them when they are having problem - any hints or references here?

We are using Backup Exec 12.5 SP2, on Windows 2003 Standard (32bit)  SP2. The server is a Dell PE1950 and has 4 Gb of RAM.

Thanks,

Chris
0 REPLIES 0