cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library won't function but backups successful

Fischer
Level 4
Hi All,

I'm running BE 12 and using a Dell tl2000 tape library.  when I set the system up it was backing up fine, inventorying fine, unlocking the magazines fine, everything was functional.  The system has been running fine for a year or so, but recently all of the library controls are failing.  Weekly/daily backups seem to be working fine, but anytime I try to get BE to unlock the library or run an inventory it fails and it appears it's not even talking to the library.  I have removed the library from BE devices and rebooted, and even removed the library from device manager and rebooted. 

I'm just wondering if there's something simple you can think of that I might be missing here.  The library shows up in device manager ans unknown changer, and I don't rembember if it was like this when it was functioning correctly.  Do I need some BE drivers for the library?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Fischer,

Sounds like a hardware issue.
Have you downloaded a diagnostic utility from the Dell website and run it against the library to check? You'll be looking at whether or not the library can move media around from that app (hopefully similar to HP's Library and Tape Tools!), and exercise the library.
What you can also check to make sure is that the Removable Storage service is stopped too...maybe it started up accidentally?

Laters!

Fischer
Level 4
Thanks for the reply Craig,

I'll have to try the diagnostic utility next week. The robot in the library seems to be able to move correctly.  when I reset the library etc, I can hear it moving through and scanning all of the tapes.  And when I start an inventory from BE it doesn't even try to move the robot. 

I'll also check the Removable Storage service, so it shouldn't be running with a library?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Removable Storage (RSM) should not be running when Backup Exec is on the system, it can cause conflicts.  RSM will try to take control of the library, so BE and RSM will fight over the device and cause problems for the system.

You can also use our tracer program (technote below) to monitor what is getting sent back and forth to the library.  This is a good way of checking for any problems.  The library may be fine, but the SCSI card could be going out.  tracer can help to determine where the problem is.

Also, check your event logs.  If you see any event ID 5, 7, 9, 11, or 15's coming from either your SCSI card or the library then you really should get in touch with your vendor to have them look at the device.

As for the unknown media changer for the library, this is what it should be set to.  BE only has drivers for the tape drives, not the changer.

Tracer Technote - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285630.htm

General Hardware troubleshooting technote - http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255501.htm