cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to restore Data from any tape

grae_uk
Level 3
Hi All,

We had a pretty serious server crash and lost everything off the server.  Our tape backups have some data that we need off them and I am trying to get it off but I can only seem to restore the directory structure ... no files!  Any ideas where I am going wrong...is it really simple?

Please shout if you need more information.  below is the software details

SBS 2003
Backup Exec 11d

Many Many thanks in advanced.

Graham.
9 REPLIES 9

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Some more informaiton would be good: When you get to restore selection, do you see the entire folder and the files under it? Do the restore selections match the kind of data you are planning to retrieve? Also, do you have these files, you plan to restore, already present in the destination? Are you restoring to same server or to a server with different name?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Graham,

Have you done a catalog and inventory on those tapes?

Laters!

grae_uk
Level 3
Thanks for the replies.

BEsymc - I see the folder structure I would expect but no files beneath ... and I have checked 5 tapes.  No I don't already have the files in the destination so there is no overwriting happening.  the server has the same name as before 'POWEREDGE'.  The only difference is the Administrator name and password.  

CraigV - Yes, I have done an inventory and then a catalog.

Thanks for the replies.

Graham.

grae_uk
Level 3
Any thoughts on this one?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
So, you dont see any files in the restore selection, hence no files are restored, which means you will probably need to look at the backup logs, if any present, to find out whether there was an issue with backup job, because of which files were not backed up. What kind of files are these? Do they belong to any specific type of database?

Thanks

grae_uk
Level 3
Are there backup logs stored onthe tape? IF not then I have no backup logs to look at.

A combination of normal data files txt, doc, docx, xls, along with some specific to an old accounts pacakge...but nothing si showign..

thanks.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Only way is may be recatalog, but you have already done that. So, i can tell you that this data must not have gotten backed up.

Thanks

grae_uk
Level 3
Ok, thanks for the reply.
Graham.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Just to add on just make sure you have the latest catalog record.