cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Request for Backup VHDX and files in a VM Guest

XexeX
Level 4

We're planing to upgrade our Backup Exec 11d to 2014, there're some questions about licensing I'd like to clarify.

I've 2 hyper-v host, the guest on those host will be replicated to each other, a vm guest is config as file server. I'd like to user Backup Exec to backup individual files in file server (VM Guest), and I'd like to backup the VM Guest (VDHX) from VM Host. Which Agent should I buy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Yes 2. Yes 3. No. You are entitled to install any number of AWS/RALUS into any number of VM's hosted on the host licenced for the hypervisor agent

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You would need the Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V per virtual host. This license also includes unlimited remote agent for windows/linux licenses for the VMs itself. If you are planning to backup DBs such as Exchange, SQl, Sharepoint, AD which are present inside the VM, then you would need additional Agent for Applications and Database licenses, else not.

XexeX
Level 4

So, I need to buy a Backup Exec server, and 2 hyper-v agent to backup vm guest and the file inside the guest?

I don't need to backup database, AD object and Exchange, so I don't need to buy agent for application?

Do I need to buy Agent for Windows too?

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Yes 2. Yes 3. No. You are entitled to install any number of AWS/RALUS into any number of VM's hosted on the host licenced for the hypervisor agent