cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Violation while backing up an XP workstation

Rockhound
Level 2
Hello,

I'm using Backup Exec 11d to backup a remote workstation that's running Windows XP.
The server that Backup Exec is installed on is running Windows 2003 Server, SP1

I was able to install the Remote Agent for Windows Systems on the XP workstation and successfully backup the XP workstation two nights ago with a recurring scheduled job.

Last night the job failed with an error message regarding the XP workstation that included the following:

"License Violation
A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec."

Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi rockhound,

Did something change in the backup selection list? Ensure you are not backing up an SQL database if you are you will need the SQl agent .  Try recreating the backup selection.

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

Rockhound
Level 2
Thanks much for you reply.

I actually deleted and recreated the backup job 2 days ago which resulted in the one successful backup of the XP Workstation.  I also made sure to only select the "C Drive" of the workstation and not its System State in the backup selections.  There have definitely been no changes in the selection list, the customer is not particularly technical so I'm sure nobody has modified any settings on the Job.

Can you think of anything else I can check?