cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux RALUS install on a RH ES 3 AS

Tonny_H__Laurse
Level 3
Hi,

im trying to install Ralus on my RH3 server.

But when I have started the installer it says:

Checking system communication:

Verifying communication with xxx.xxx.xx ............................................................. ping successful
.................................................. is an unsupported platform
Attempting rsh with xxxx.xxxx.xx .................................. rsh on xxx.xxx.xx results in extraneous characters
CPI WARNING V-9-10-1020
xxxx cannot communicate with or does not have rsh permissions with the following systems: xxxxx.xxx.xx

What is wrong? do i need to install something more on the linux-backup-client?
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

When installing RALUS on Linux, an error "is a unsupported platform" is returned

This issue normally occurs when you try to install RALUS on Linux platforms, other than the ones mentioned below:
1. Red Hat Linux : Advanced Server 2.1
2. Red Hat Linux : Enterprise Linux 3.0 - AS
3. Red Hat Linux : Enterprise Linux 3.0 - ES
4. Red Hat Linux : Enterprise Linux 3.0 - AS
NOTE: RALUS can be installed only on the above mentioned Linux Operating Systems.

You can also perform the following steps:

1) run the command on the Linux machine - "service VRTSRalus.init start"
2) Add the servers Ipaddress in the User defined selections - For doing so open the seletions list and right click under the free space in the center pane --> enter the Ipaddress of the linux machine and click add. Check whether you are able to see the agent after performing the above steps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tonny_H__Laurse
Level 3
The software we are using is Redhat Enterprise server 3 AS update 5 and i have downloaded the Ralus agent ( Q177208.BE.RALUS.10.0.5520.ESD_277215.tar ) and extracted it. Then i run './installralus' and get the errors.

The server im installing from is the same version of RH as the target server.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What is the result after running the command on the Linux machine - "service VRTSRalus.init start"?

Have you got the same error after adding the servers Ipaddress in the User defined selections?

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tonny_H__Laurse
Level 3
I have now made a manually install on the servers by using the two .rpm files and edited the ralus.cfg file. It seems to work.

But how can the VRTSralus.init start automatically on the servers? Can i just copy the file to /etc/init.d/ or ??

Tonny

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

The VRTSralus.init path needs to be mentioned in the inittab file. Try this and verify the results.

Tonny_H__Laurse
Level 3
I have now added the line '/etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start &' to '/etc/rc.d/rc.local' and then the service starts automatic when the server reboot.

Tonny

James_Hammett
Level 3
The standard way would be to create a softllink from /etc/rc3.d and /etc/rc5.d to the VRTSralus.init script

The links would be called

/etc/rc3.d/S99VRTSralus.init

/etc/rc5.d/S99VRTSralus.init

init will then launch them with an argument 'start' (The S).

This is sort of the standard way to launch something off of that sort of script