cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost GRT capability after upgrade to Server 2012 R2

Rick_C
Level 3

I am in the process of upgrading my servers to Server 2012 R2 Standard.  I upgraded my media server from Server 2008 R2 with no issues.  I have one other Server 2012 R2 Std server being backed up with no issues.  This server is simple file sharing...no special services or roles.

I have 2 other servers still on Server 2008 R2.  These are both Hyper-V hosts.  Every day since the upgrade of the BE media server I get the following error during their Dup-to-tape jobs: V-79-57344-38758.  (The initial B2D seems to run fine...only the DUP has issues.)  The technote suggested rebooting the media server (no change) and another said to edit the registry on the media server, changing HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FsDepends\Start from "3" to "0".  Again, no change. 

The DUP jobs have been separated from the scheduled task...in other words, they are not run "Immediately after source task completes" due to the need for several jobs needing access to a single tape drive.

I can't find any further information in regards to this issue.  Anybody got any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you able to run a GRT restore from the source backup to disk job ?

Are the VMs on these 2008 R2 Hyper-V hosts running Win 2012 R2 ?

Rick_C
Level 3

1) There is no GRT-backed data files in the catalog to allow for a restore.

2) All guest VMs are 2008 R2 based (for now).

I am assuming I still have the capability to do a complete guest restore but that defeats the purpose of having GRT.

VJware
Level 6

If GRT restore isn't available, then the source backup job log, i.e. to disk should have an GRT error/exception logged. Is there no such message in the job log ?

If there is no GRT error/exception message in the source backup job log and if GRT restore isn't available, have you tried to recreate the entire job itself ?

Rick_C
Level 3

According to Veritas Support Article:000037440 I should be able to issue the command line "vssadmin list providers" and get back info for:

• Symantec Software VSS Provider
  • Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0

I get nothing for Symantec.  Here is what I get:

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy provider'
   Provider type: Fileshare
   Provider Id: {89300202-3cec-4981-9171-19f59559e0f2}
   Version: 1.0.0.1

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
   Provider type: System
   Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   Version: 1.0.0.7

Am I missing something that should be there?  Reminder...I did an in-place upgrade on the media server from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2 Standard.  Perhaps this did something to the VSS Providers?

VJware
Level 6

Are you checking this on the BE media server or on the VMs themselves ?

The VMs should have the Remote Agent installed which registers the Symantec VSS provider.