cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Exchange Journal Backup

s-portav
Level 2

Hi,

I have a requirement to backup the MS Exchange Journals on a monthly basis and to clean them out as they are getting huge! 

Is there something swishy I can do in BE to do this?  OR do I have to continue using the rubbish Power Shell method I currently use?

Cheers,

Si
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
What you need is an archiving solution, like Enterprise Vault.  Backup Exec is not the right solution for what you want.

Enterprise Vault (EV) would prune the journal mailboxes every xx minutes and just delete them altogether from Exchange, and store them in EV for indexing and searching, for legal and HR reasons.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
What you need is an archiving solution, like Enterprise Vault.  Backup Exec is not the right solution for what you want.

Enterprise Vault (EV) would prune the journal mailboxes every xx minutes and just delete them altogether from Exchange, and store them in EV for indexing and searching, for legal and HR reasons.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
What version of Exchange are you using?
I'm using BE 12.5 and Exchange 2003. By running a full backup, both the database and logs are backed up, and the logs are flushed.

s-portav
Level 2

Thanks guys.

The problem I was having was due to me trying to run my script on a 64bit machine without outlook installed. 

See this link : http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/management-administration/exchange-2007-sp1-mailbox-management-part1.html

Essentially I am dumping the journal to a pst fie once a month in a script.

I have now fixed the problem, temporarily.  I will however look into EV as this looks like a very good solution and I am not particularly keen on how we do it currently.

Thanks again,

Si