cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MailBoxes Backup vs. Information store in 2000

Albert_Pantoja
Level 2
I was reading a previous post with a similar question but on 2003 so I thought I would created a separate post as not to confuse the other post.

I have a Windows 2000 server with Exchange 2000. I'm using Backupexec v10 to do 2 backups. 1 for the mailboxes that I run daily and 1 for the information store which I run once a week. If during the week I needed to restore a single or group of mailboxes, I would be able to do this from the last mailbox backup correct? I'm wondering what advantage I have in backing up the Information store in addition to the mailboxes.

My Backup Exec servers is not installed on my Exchange 2000 server.
3 REPLIES 3

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
There is no advantaged to the IS backup, it is a REQUIREMENT!

If in a worse case scenario your database is hosed, you cannot recover Exchange using mailbox backups. Only the IS backup can get you up and running (or a disaster receovery)

Mailbox backups are just for that, mailboxes. If you need to restore individual or groups of mailboxes, that is the fast way to do it. If you did not backup mailboxes seperately, then you would have to restore the entire IS which would take a long time compared to just a few specific mailboxes.

The IS backup is the database itself, which also includes all the individual mailboxes. The difference here is it is not backed up in a way that you could restore individual mailboxes from. Restoring the IS would restore all mailboxes as well.

If I was you, I would run at least one full IS backup each week, suplemented with differential and incremental backups throughout the week. If you run Full mailbox backups everyday, use wildcards to exclude the Sent Items and Deleted Items folders from every mailbox to make the backups smaller. If you only do one Full mailbox backup, be sure to use differentials as well since it would make your overall backup window much smaller everyday for mailbox jobs since they tend to be quite slow due to Outlook/Mapi reasons.

Hope this helps.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello Albert,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of
the delayed response. Please let us know if your issue
still persists. If yes, please refer the steps mentioned
below. If not, we will mark this case as assumed
answered and move it to answered questions pool.

Your questions are answered in the following document. Please check it out.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231250

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed
answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’
pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.