cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox folder restore - successful but folder not restored

Dave_Baddorf
Level 2
Partner
I have been attempting to restore the inbox folder for one of my Exchange 2007 users.  When I run the restore from tape, it runs for about 5 hours (staging), reports as successful, and the log gives the following message:

Restore Set Summary:
Restored 2 Exchange Server stores
Processed 69,378,439,800 bytes in 4 hours, 38 minutes, and 19 seconds.
Throughput rate: 238 MB/min

then it says

Restored 0 Exchange Server stores
Processed 0 bytes in 1 second.
Throughput rate: 0.000 MB/min

The backup is marked as Successful, but the inbox folder wasn't restored.

Here's the background:
  1. I have Exchange 2007 SP1 running on Windows Server Std 2003 R2 SP2.
  2. Exchange GRT backup w/ Backup Exec 11d to tape.  Backup was successful.
  3. 3000 email items were somehow removed from user's inbox.
  4. Tried restore w/ 11d.  Was getting same problem as above.
  5. Upgraded to Backup Exec 12.
  6. I have the "First Storage Group" - "Mailbox Database" set to "This database can be overwritten by a restore".
  7. The restore job is set to "When restoring individual mail messages and folders, restore over existing messages and folders", "Dismount database before restore", "Commit after restore completes", "Restore all transaction logs; do not delete existing transaction logs".
  8. I don't know that this has anything to do with it, but my Backup Exec 11d wasn't deleting Exchange log files.  I probably have 50,000 of them in the Exchange folder but I haven't used Backup Exec 12 yet to backup Exchange and see if it clears them out.  Yes, the backups were set to "Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)

I'm just not sure what I'm missing?  Can anyone please help?

Thanks so much... Dave

1 REPLY 1

Dave_Baddorf
Level 2
Partner
When I created a Recovery Storage Group (RSG) I was able to restore the mailbox correctly. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288550.htm