cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Remote Agent Install - Testing communication

james_watson
Level 2
I am testing BE10 between two of my sites. These sites are secure and do not have name resolution between them. My internet provider allows router exceptions to be dropped when i have been doing the tests. My question is... If i do a remote agent install and specifiy the IP address of my BE10 Server, how do i know when there is communication? How do i do a backup if there's no entry in my BE10 Servers remote selection? can i add manually or do i have to wait for the remote agent to call's home? Can i make both sides query each other and see some communication? i seem to have both sides running but unsure if and how to prompt them to start talking? thanks
2 REPLIES 2

james_watson
Level 2
just to mention.. this is a manual/local install of BE10 remote agents. Forgive me if i am missing the point, i am very new to backup exec. thanks again

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

It seems that you are backing up servers on the different network than that of teh Backup Exec media server.

-- If this is the case then, there is a Wide Area network or it is in a internal link?

Or are you using VPN?
-- The servers which you are bacing up are in domains?

When you will install teh remote agent on the remote server then,
Verify if Backup Exec remote agent service is running under Local system account on Backup Exec media server as well as on teh remote server.

-- You acn select the remote server through Remote selections in Backup Exec provided you could see it access it through Network neighbourhood.
(note:As you have mentioned here, if you are backing up servers in a different network you might not be able to see it in network neigbourhood)

-- You can select the same server using User defined selections in Backup Exec using IP address of your remote server and then you can perform teh backup.

-- Please note to backup the remote server via different network if thereis a firewall in between then it is required to open the min 50 ports from the Backup Exec server and
atleast 25 ports from the remote agent TCP dynamic port range.
You can do this in Backup Exec from Tools - Options - Network and firewall.

We hope thsi helps.
if our understanding regarding your query is incorrect please elaborate.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.