cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Cotolge

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

Could someone tell me that, waht exactly the option Media Cotolge does in Backup exec 2010 R2?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE by default deletes catalogs after 60 days if I remember correctly. You can extend this, and this will help retain tape information in BE itself, but at the expense of disk utilisation.

You'd have to catalog your tape first before restoring from it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Whatever you see in restore window its due to catalogs, if the catalogs are deleted then you need 

to generate them by selecting "Catalog Media" option. When you run a catalog media job Backup 

Exec reads data from the tape or B2D and shows what information is stored on the media.

Shahin123
Level 6

mol,

Thanks for your replay,

I did came across this issue, that sometimes on some medias I cannot see all of the backup sets, I mean when I go to the Media-Media set-Tape and choose restore I cannot see some of the older backup sets but when I go to the Devices-Tape partition-Tape and choose the Restore then there I can see all of the backup sets.

In such case I run the inventory for that tape and then when I go to the first location (Media-Media set-Tape) then I can see all of the backup sets there as well.

my question is,

why this heppend? we didnot delete any catalog! also should we run the catalog or the inventory? and from which location should we run the restore? from first location or the secound one?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE by default deletes catalogs after 60 days if I remember correctly. You can extend this, and this will help retain tape information in BE itself, but at the expense of disk utilisation.

You'd have to catalog your tape first before restoring from it.