cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Insert message every 15 minutes

John_Pyle
Level 3
I am running BE v10d on W2K server. We just installed the server and remote agent. When running a backup job and the end of tape is reached, the "Media Insert" alert is displayed and auto-answered every 15 minutes. When no one is in the office, this results in tons and tons of messages. We do not have auto answer setup for this alert so I'm not sure how this is happening. In the old version of BE we had, when a tape was full, one alert was displayed notifying that a new tape needed to be loaded and the backup job waited. I want the new version to behave the same manner.
12 REPLIES 12

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't quite know why this would be default behavior, but see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm and try setting the interval to "0" (that's a zero not an oh)This should prevent BackupExec from responding in that situation at all

John_Pyle
Level 3
The documentation you list shows using regedit for versions 7 and 8. For versions 9 up, it says to use BEUtility for alert changes. I don't see where I can set this to 0(zero) using BEUtility. Unless it is in the "Automatically clear alert after" prompt shown in the Alert Categories screen in BE itself. Will setting that to zero cause the alert to wait indefinitely? Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry, gotta keep reminding myself to check which forum I'm in :)

I haven't played around much with this in v9 or v10, so can't even guess. You'll have to wait for someone else to step in, sorry

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
The Article that Ken had given you also applies to Versions 9 and 10. If you scroll down through the Document, it mentions how you can do it for the versions 9 and 10.

You can also go through the following Artilce which is specifically for Versions 9 onwards:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254685.htm

Hope that helps you. Plese get back to us in case you have any other Querries.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

John_Pyle
Level 3
Thank you for your response. I don't believe however that I have received the answer to my question. I may be asking my question incorrectly or it may be interpreted differently. I am not really looking to know how to auto answer prompts. If you read my first post, the program is apparently re-generating the prompt to insert media every 15 minutes when the tape gets full. In my setup, the auto answer of this message is turned off, so I'm not sure as to why it keeps reappearing. Over a recent weekend, the backup was running and the tape reached the end. For almost two days the program re-displayed the prompt to insert media every 15 minutes on it's own. What I want the program to do is to display the insert media prompt one time and then wait for an answer. Is this possible? Thank you for your assistance.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

In this case you can configure the alerts to be responded automatically as we have mentioned earlier.

Or you can manually respond to alerts.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Pyle
Level 3
I do not want the alert automatically answered. I do not have the program setup to auto answer the "Insert Media" alert. During a backup job, the "Insert Media" alert message re-displays itself every 15 minutes when the end of tape is reached eventhough I do not have the auto respond setup. I want to know why the program is doing this and how I can stop it. I am not interested in using auto answer for this alert. When the end of tape is reached, I want the program to display the insert media message one time and then wait until I answer it.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Got to alerts tab, click on option to configure alerts in the blue bar to the left.Click on the media insertion alerts and uncheck the option to respond automatically to alerts.
Now the alert will appear if a media is required and wait for you to respond to it.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

John_Pyle
Level 3
Please read my previous post again and pay close attention to the second sentence.

John_Pyle
Level 3
I am asking that if anyone connected with Veritas has the ability to answer this question to please do so. My company just purchased Backup Exec 10d less than 2 months ago. We installed it and have had this issue since our first tape was loaded. I have searched and searched and searched the Veritas site for some OTHER way to get support for this product and without purchasing it, I don't see a way. It is quite pitiful that a company will sell you a product and then provide absolutely no personal support of it. If I had known of this I may have taken my business elsewhere. I would have thought I'd have gotten more for my $1000 spent.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please verify in the alert categories if you have unselected an option "automatically clear alert after " for the media insertion alert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Pyle
Level 3
I have verified and verified and verified. Every response I receive for this problem asks me to verify that. I have a screen shot of this if anyone is interested in seeing it for themselves. I do not have the program setup to auto answer this prompt, but the program answers and re-displays it anyway. I want it to stop! In alert history, the column for the "User Who Reponded" to the alert, the user name is "ADAMM". Does this help ANYONE to give me an answer on how to solve the problem?